A long time ago I used Hydrogen Peroxide on a rather nasty skin tear down the side of a hen. I took the hen to Gloria who asked what I had done so far about the injury. That's when I got told off for using Hydrogen Peroxide. She scraped all the edges of the skin to remove the tissue that the Hydrogen Peroxide had in effect sealed and made the skin edges bleed again. It's the blood, even in minute quantities that a) helps to clean the wound, and b) helps the two sections of skin form a bond under the scabbing process. I haven't used it since.
Good deal. I figured. Nasty stuff.

Family Photo

Before I handed out mealworms the other night, I tried to get all six of the big girls into one family photo. One hen in particular simply would not cooperate and hold still. :barnie

Check it out.

20200806_194418.jpg

20200806_194420.jpg

20200806_194422.jpg

20200806_194400.jpg

20200806_194358.jpg

I think this is the the only one where you can see everyone's head and someone is facing the wrong way! :he

1596896574878_20200806_194425.jpg

I did grab this marvelous shot of my two big girls looking for food!
20200807_102607.jpg

They look like they are starving to death, don't they! :lau :gig

Standing Sentinel

It feels a little early to me but I was briefly watching the flock out in the rain yesterday from the coffee pot. (I had to get away from my desk for a moment.) When I noticed Ned taking Sentinel duty. Unfortunately my phone was on my desk so no photos. He stood just out from under the magnolia tree on the pool cement in the light rain, erect, still, and alert.

He was clearly on duty and Hattie was off scratching and playing with the other ladies.

I remain impressed that Lilly has not felt the need to kill him as she did Jabberwocky. Either Lilly has softened, the fact that he is Sydney's boy has protected him, or he is going to be a good dude and she sees that in him already.

Why so Many Posts this Morning BY Bob?

Work this week ate me up. I noticed a lot of interesting things this week with the flock that I want to share. I probably should hold on to one or two so each gets discussion time. I dislike it when interesting things get passed over because I posted too many at once. In fact, that's it. Let's discuss what I have posted so far.

I will close with a photo of a bunch of sad chickens who got caught out in a torrential downpour yesterday. Ned and Lucky are partially hidden in the background and Phyllis took shelter next to the house. Her tail is visible on the left. Hattie was in the nesting box laying an egg at the time. Good timing on her part.
20200807_151328.jpg

Back
Top Bottom