OK I'd like to focus on the coop and biosecurity. Do you have pictures of your coop and run that you can share?
I can post them tomorrow, however I was going over this with the wifey today as we were analyzing things. Two of my coops have big covered areas, the one with the majority of issues has a fence then a relatively open area with nothing overhead, making easy access for wild birds. That indeed may be the big difference and contributing factor.

I can post them tomorrow, however I was going over this with the wifey today as we were analyzing things. Two of my coops have big covered areas, the one with the majority of issues has a fence then a relatively open area with nothing overhead, making easy access for wild birds. That indeed may be the big difference and contributing factor.
Could be. Another thing is biosecurity. Can you describe how you integrate new chickens? What is your setup? You have added a bunch of chickens together over the last 18 months from a lot of different places. I'm curious as to how you handle that.

Could be. Another thing is biosecurity. Can you describe how you integrate new chickens? What is your setup? You have added a bunch of chickens together over the last 18 months from a lot of different places. I'm curious as to how you handle that.
The 20 new chicks all went into our new coop after growing out in our basement, each breed in their own group, and they are only 13 and 11 weeks old this week. Before them, the last new birds were the 2 blue SF from TN which we got in February, they were quarantined together in my basement for 3 weeks before I put one in each of my then 2 seperate flocks. Thats been it for this year, and last year all was good till December, when the open area flock got roundworm.

The 20 new chicks all went into our new coop after growing out in our basement, each breed in their own group, and they are only 13 and 11 weeks old this week. Before them, the last new birds were the 2 blue SF from TN which we got in February, they were quarantined together in my basement for 3 weeks before I put one in each of my then 2 seperate flocks. Thats been it for this year, and last year all was good till December, when the open area flock got roundworm.
That sounds pretty solid. Mine have gotten coccidia 3 times in the last 2 years and I have dealt with worms each year. Unfiltered apple cider vinegar in their water is said to help prevent coccidia. I'm actually thinking about doing that during times it is really wet out. Some people worm prophylactic once a year rather than respond to issues when they happen. I don't agree with that but i understand why they do it.

Thank you. It was inspired by an old thread on here called Fluffy Butt Friday, where every Friday people would post pictures of fluffy butts. I was addicted to it for over a year until it died out.
One of my new “fluffy butts”!
I love the house!

Attachments

• 7B5039E3-0F6B-44BC-B3CB-D1272A24E7FD.jpeg
    7B5039E3-0F6B-44BC-B3CB-D1272A24E7FD.jpeg
    584.3 KB · Views: 10
That sounds pretty solid. Mine have gotten coccidia 3 times in the last 2 years and I have dealt with worms each year. Unfiltered apple cider vinegar in their water is said to help prevent coccidia. I'm actually thinking about doing that during times it is really wet out. Some people worm prophylactic once a year rather than respond to issues when they happen. I don't agree with that but i understand why they do it.

I am very new to Chickens... but I did Work in veterinary medicine and K9 rescue/rehabilitation for 25+years. I do use holistic/natural health care for all my animals. Have you looked into FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous earth? Good for preventing & treating intestinal parasites (round worms, coccidia, Giardia etc). It also has a lot of Other great Health benefits! I take it, my dogs & chickens! You can also use a puffer to disperse it in the contaminated area to help get the issue under control (& for prevention).
We use raw apple cider vinegar for ourselves & dogs every day, but I was told not to use the ACV in the chickens water during the summer here in Florida and I haven’t gotten to research it yet...?

Are you being serious? I feel like I've missed a new story.
Yes! It's a legit thing! I heard an expert talk about it on a podcast a few years ago. I'm not sure if it's ongoing, but because there's no ccd in Australia, our bees were thriving and being shipped all over.

Edit: this news story is from 2018.

So if a bee says, "Mate, watch out for those drop bears and come over here n sink a few tinnies!" you'll know where he's from :D

Last edited:
Yes! It's a legit thing! I heard an expert talk about it on a podcast a few years ago. I'm not sure if it's ongoing, but because there's no ccd in Australia, our bees were thriving and being shipped all over.

Edit: this news story is from 2018.

So if a bee says, "Mate, watch out for those drop bears and come over here n sink a few tinnies!" you'll know where he's from :D

This is my favourite Aussie bee.

1597052108176.jpeg

I do use Rooster Booster in the water. This is why it's frustrating, you follow by the book care and still these things happen one after the other...

Back
Top Bottom