After weighing her a couple of weeks ago and seeing the few ounces of weight lost, nothing gained, I decided to try to tube-feed her twice a day when possible. On 1x/day she would rally for some hours after feeding and be flagging by the end of the day, and be poorly by next morning. I also felt it's kind of a "fish or cut bait" situation in a way, I don't want to string her along in such an underweight vulnerable state, something else will get her, so let's see what more intense nutritional rehab will do, or not do, for her.
So, I will say up front that I have absolutely no experience with tube feeding chickens, so take this with a grain of salt.

I do, however, have experience with humans who aren't eating enough, get sick, and then do not have any body reserves to fight back with. So, my take (and do feel free to 'take it or leave it - ultimately, it is YOUR decision) is to try feeding her twice a day until one of the following occurs:

she clearly is giving up (not likely, as she seems headed in the other direction)

she starts eating on her own - significantly - and hopefully starts eating feed, as it is nutritionally balanced.

She has gained enough weight (?maybe half way between where she is and where her usual weight it - so going in the right direction?) and continues eating some on her own that you feel she has built up enough body mass to feel comfortable dropping back to 1 feeding a day

Again, this is totally my opinion and you have to do what you feel is best, what Butters can/will tolerate, and what you are actually able to do (i.e. if you have a gig and can't feed an evening meal - is it a one off, or do you decide to drop back down to one feeding????)

So, I will say up front that I have absolutely no experience with tube feeding chickens, so take this with a grain of salt.

I do, however, have experience with humans who aren't eating enough, get sick, and then do not have any body reserves to fight back with. So, my take (and do feel free to 'take it or leave it - ultimately, it is YOUR decision) is to try feeding her twice a day until one of the following occurs:

she clearly is giving up (not likely, as she seems headed in the other direction)

she starts eating on her own - significantly - and hopefully starts eating feed, as it is nutritionally balanced.

She has gained enough weight (?maybe half way between where she is and where her usual weight it - so going in the right direction?) and continues eating some on her own that you feel she has built up enough body mass to feel comfortable dropping back to 1 feeding a day

Again, this is totally my opinion and you have to do what you feel is best, what Butters can/will tolerate, and what you are actually able to do (i.e. if you have a gig and can't feed an evening meal - is it a one off, or do you decide to drop back down to one feeding????)
:goodpost: Sensible opinion.

Today. They've learned the drill. Opened the brooder, lay the plastic mesh brooder upper "door" like a ramp up to the tote on the desk,holding it on the edge of the tote and under it for a little support, and they jump or fly as far as they can toward it and climb the mesh to the tote edge. But the last one hung back today. Then looked like she didn't want to go and was walking away. But what she was doing was backing up and getting the proper flight angle (@featherhead007) to fly straight out onto the edge and bypass the mesh entirely!

Thought I'd bring them outside for a bit, but they immediately dustbathed and then sunbathed in the sun right there. So they had a grand time inside, hopping all around it, running on the mesh, the windowsill, watching DH on the lawn mower out the window, etc. (Don't worry food and water is in here too.)
View attachment 3623843
View attachment 3623844
View attachment 3623845
View attachment 3623846
A chicken working out a flight vector? 🤔
Interesting!

I am thinking this is safety training for everyone on site regardless of role.
Or are you going to be using slings and cranes?
Maybe she got the job because of her extensive knowledge of Shakespeare?
"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows cranes of outrageous fortune..."

Amazing job. Well done!
What did you use to scoop it out?
I noticed on the video of the vet he was using a tiny ladle or scoop tool. I feel like that would be a good thing to lay one’s hands on for the medical closet.
It kind of looked like this https://www.amazon.com/Ear-Wax-Remo...5f-8ac5-79f7eff64ca5&pd_rd_i=B08SKV13R5&psc=1
1693447421646.png

Update on my everything:
- The people who I thought were coming down from Washington State, found other housing in their state.
-my eastern property is now being patrolled by the sheriff department. I was asked to press charges against anyone who violates the “no trespassing” order.
-Coco seems to be doing better this afternoon.
-Hen-Rietta’s bumble foot is completely healed. And new tail feathers are coming in.
-A friend of a friend in town, wanted me to buy a horse she had been looking after. I’m not getting any more horses.
-A church friend has cancer and I went to see him today. He’s doing well after surgery, but he’s not comfortable with the pain as of now.
-seems I have jury duty next month (received a summons today) They send out summons to everyone who is registered to vote. My past career, usually excludes me from serving.
-weather has been mild and comfortable since the rain rolling through from the hurricane.
- I have bored you all enough for now. :caf
Wonderful update actually.

Back
Top Bottom