So, I will say up front that I have absolutely no experience with tube feeding chickens, so take this with a grain of salt.

I do, however, have experience with humans who aren't eating enough, get sick, and then do not have any body reserves to fight back with. So, my take (and do feel free to 'take it or leave it - ultimately, it is YOUR decision) is to try feeding her twice a day until one of the following occurs:

she clearly is giving up (not likely, as she seems headed in the other direction)

she starts eating on her own - significantly - and hopefully starts eating feed, as it is nutritionally balanced.

She has gained enough weight (?maybe half way between where she is and where her usual weight it - so going in the right direction?) and continues eating some on her own that you feel she has built up enough body mass to feel comfortable dropping back to 1 feeding a day

Again, this is totally my opinion and you have to do what you feel is best, what Butters can/will tolerate, and what you are actually able to do (i.e. if you have a gig and can't feed an evening meal - is it a one off, or do you decide to drop back down to one feeding????)

:goodpost: Sensible opinion.
We are of the same mind on this actually, thanks for spelling it out!

I think there is something not working right with her gizzard, there's too much undigested things in her poop that are tough, like corn, or hulled sunflower seeds, the day after she has that food, compared to everyone else. Mealworms seem better. So continuing this easy to digest baby bird food for now and waiting to see how it goes makes sense. She doesn't like crumbles mash made with water or yogurt (she does like yogurt). I haven't yet figured out a better way to get her to eat enough of the nutritious feed except by tube feeding.

We are of the same mind on this actually, thanks for spelling it out!

I think there is something not working right with her gizzard, there's too much undigested things in her poop that are tough, like corn, or hulled sunflower seeds, the day after she has that food, compared to everyone else. Mealworms seem better. So continuing this easy to digest baby bird food for now and waiting to see how it goes makes sense. She doesn't like crumbles mash made with water or yogurt (she does like yogurt). I haven't yet figured out a better way to get her to eat enough of the nutritious feed except by tube feeding.
Be sure that the yogurt is the most expensive kind. $$$
My chooks will only eat the special Greek yogurt :th

Blue Moon tax.
A headless chicken.
AD07A3F4-D4C3-457E-9CF0-185CCD2B1CA4.jpeg

I hold a ‘supervisory’ role so I need all the safety, and it’s a lot - but no I don’t operate cranes 😊 but I need to know if slings and rigging is incorrect.
Course was interesting but long and complicated. It did explain some things I had wondered about so that was good.

BFTP - Work Talk Tax

Blanche enjoying the ponding from a heavy rainfall.
330BD6E0-00CC-403E-8793-32673DEAB7AF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom