Kris, you know your Ameraucanas, Araucanas and EEs better than I do. I do think it’s that chilean bird that gives Cream Legbars their crest, so I still can’t wrap my head around why Araucanas don’t have them.
But mine do ~ have a crest that is ~ & I think you'll find so does ACM's.

I mostly use wheat bran, oat bran, and when I have it I mix in some non medicated chick starter. I find thinly slicing the veggies (Especially apples and carrots 1/8”-1/4”) helps keep the mold down, their favorite though is broccoli stems 1/4-1/2” thick, I’ve never had these go moldy.

I don’t think the beetles have “escaped”, but I have had some meal worm spills, thanks to chickens, kids, and cats. I just sift the bigger worms using two dollar store sifters, one with a fine mesh and one with a more open one.

I just leave the beetles in their drawer until they basically die off to 50% then move the survivors into the new pupae/beetle drawer and wait for the baby worms to grow. It’s not a fast process but quite low maintenance.

Thanks Kris.

I've book marked it to refer to later.

When I build my new, raised sleeping coop I may screw some drawers like this underneath for a meal worm farm. :thumbsup

But mine do ~ have a crest that is ~ & I think you'll find so does ACM's.
Yep, Alice definitely has a crest. No beard or muffs though.
IMG20201002142454.jpg

Back
Top Bottom