That would be worse than an under-the-deck chicken coop. Probably a lot smellier too!
But I actually have an under-the-deck chicken run/pen, and it doesn't stink. 8 X 10 foot space with only 3 chickens might be why it doesn't stink, though. I was worried about it when I set it up, but I've been very pleasantly surprised at how well everything has worked. That's not say that I'm really going to try to stuff a cow in the basement, though! :lau

IMG_20200926_141140.jpg

I have two contributions to Fluffy-Butt Friday.
The first is Fluffy-Butt Buffy. She is my fluffiest fluffy-butt!
View attachment 2418312
Then second runner-up would be Wellie 1
(I have two Welsummers who I have not properly named, and I call them “The Twins”, Wellie 1 and Wellie 2.)
View attachment 2418313
Wow, and wow again! I think Fluffy-Butt Buffy has my vote for the "Plushbottom of the Year" award!

But I actually have an under-the-deck chicken run/pen, and it doesn't stink. 8 X 10 foot space with only 3 chickens might be why it doesn't stink, though. I was worried about it when I set it up, but I've been very pleasantly surprised at how well everything has worked. That's not say that I'm really going to try to stuff a cow in the basement, though! :lau

View attachment 2419723
When I saw her post that comment I thought you might remind her. :gig

Just so everyone understands the difference between this set up and what Patsy & Lilly were enclosed in I need to say this. These hens do not need rescued. They are living quite well in a very clever coop/run. Patsy, Lilly and around 10 other hens lived in a space under a deck with about 2 feet of clearance. It was about 4 feet deep and maybe 12 feet wide. There were no roosts and just a dusty dirt floor. It was on the north side of the house so sunlight was limited if at all present. It was a completely different environment than @goldenfingers set up. I think that this under the deck set up is very clever.

Back
Top Bottom