RoyalChick

Free Ranging
Nov 3, 2019
Northern New Jersey
My Coop
With all the excitement over at @Ribh’s with her gorgeous new pullets, and thinking up Shakespearean names, and of course the grumpiness and first egg, I completely forgot to report on the epic Rodents vs RC wars.
For three nights now there has been no rodent spotted on camera and no trap sprung.
Maybe my exclusion efforts have really worked. Is it possible? Is it too soon to hope?
I am not counting my chickens just yet (well I count my real chickens of course), because maybe the mice are simply on vacation. But I might try not putting the feed away tonight.
I am pretty sure some of the mice have moved into the big coop, so maybe the ‘theater/theatre or war has simply shifted.

BY Bob

Proprietor, Fluffy Butt Acres
Premium Feather Member
Jan 1, 2016
Hershey, PA
My Coop

BY Bob

Premium Feather Member
Jan 1, 2016
Hershey, PA
My Coop
Hang on Alex. You have roosters. Have none of your hens gone broody or are the roosters not fulfilling all their duties?
There seems to be an epidemic of broodiness in other parts of the world. Notably Queensland.
Hopefully it will infect your flock and you could raise some chicks. :fl (only if you want them of course)
Unlikely for 2 reasons
  1. leghorns no longer go broody it has been bred out of them
  2. It is winter in these parts of the world. Hens go broody in the spring and summer in these parts
Now he could incubate some eggs in an incubator provided they are so laying. This might be a fun journey of learning something new! What do you think Alex?

BY Bob

Premium Feather Member
Jan 1, 2016
Hershey, PA
My Coop
With all the excitement over at @Ribh’s with her gorgeous new pullets, and thinking up Shakespearean names, and of course the grumpiness and first egg, I completely forgot to report on the epic Rodents vs RC wars.
For three nights now there has been no rodent spotted on camera and no trap sprung.
Maybe my exclusion efforts have really worked. Is it possible? Is it too soon to hope?
I am not counting my chickens just yet (well I count my real chickens of course), because maybe the mice are simply on vacation. But I might try not putting the feed away tonight.
I am pretty sure some of the mice have moved into the big coop, so maybe the ‘theater/theatre or war has simply shifted.
New theater of war. I thought you were already fighting a war on 2 fronts! If they can shift to the coop then they can shift back. Good luck.

RoyalChick

Free Ranging
Nov 3, 2019
Northern New Jersey
My Coop
New theater of war. I thought you were already fighting a war on 2 fronts! If they can shift to the coop then they can shift back. Good luck.
Well I am hoping they can't shift back to the Chicken Palace as I have invested several Saturdays in sealing up any entry opportunity with hardware cloth. But you are probably right, eventually I will be out-witted by a mouse just as I have been outwitted by the chickens and the cats.
:idunno

BY Bob

Premium Feather Member
Jan 1, 2016
Hershey, PA
My Coop
Well I am hoping they can't shift back to the Chicken Palace as I have invested several Saturdays in sealing up any entry opportunity with hardware cloth. But you are probably right, eventually I will be out-witted by a mouse just as I have been outwitted by the chickens and the cats.
:idunno
They see things we just can't being down there at that level and so small in the end. You definitely have them under control though.

Top Bottom