It's about time I said hello to everyone in this thread my apologies for not doing so earlier.

Hi there :frow
I'm in BYC because I love animals of most kinds and not only chickens. When I came across this thread I found it interesting then got carried away on reading about Bob's goat and totally forgot to properly introduce myself.

I first discovered BYC when I was trying to find answers on keeping chickens and at the same time still learning too use the internet plus this site.

Thanks to all that have replied to me :)
Hello & welcome, @Marie2020!

Pre-Emptive strike on fluffy Butt Friday:
22249738-E350-4E4E-9002-62FE019358DB.jpeg

Still short one of the meat girl rescues at bedtime tonight. This is one of the risks I accepted when I decided to free range most of my chickens. And with a 11 hens to 1 Rooster ratio in this group, I will agree with @Shadrach that this isn’t as “ideal” a number as it is so often suggested, at least from a safety and a social standpoint. I also can’t Really set up enough separate coops or afford to feed too many more boys.

I had some giant land chicken herding issues this morning which put us quite behind schedule. Instead of “missing” 3-4 girls, I only had Gus and three girls at the fence line this morning. The other 10 were in two separate groups divided by a fence, two gates down, and with one very scary tree to pass under. We made sausage this afternoon (going to put an add up on FBook for our products soon) and returned at dusk to put up the chickens and have supper. I am thus a little short on chicken photos today, but I do have a couple goat ones to share. I had to find and adjust a different cat harness for her, and I am trying to teach her to “goat” a bit outside (she will go almost anywhere for a baba). So, these are from right before we went down to make sausage this afternoon, and yes she pee peed on my pillow... it is hers now.

View attachment 2497357View attachment 2497358
Thank you for posting these. I'm so sorry about your missing rescue and hope she turns up. Knowing the situational risk doesn't make it easier, and I feel for you. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom