]View attachment 2497585View attachment 2497584]View attachment 2497586
Welcome to our flock, Marie! I love this site. I can honestly say that belonging to BYC has made it possible for me to become a true chicken keeper, because until May of 2020 I never owned a chicken. And no one I am close to ever kept chickens either. I had no background, no knowledge. Just a dream that I always fancied having my own flock of chickens.
And today, thanks to Retirement, Covid, and TSC tempting me with bin after bin of adorable peeps, I am the proud mommy of nine chickens.
:love

Yeah you're not gonna sneak a goat past LP township let alone the HOA... :lau
So lovely seeing you. Thanks so much for connecting with me.
I really enjoy being here to. Like you I've learned almost everything I know from this site.

I was frantically searching for so many answers on chickens and almost every question led me to byc. I'm so pleased this happened because here I am now meeting good people with lovely fluffy butts :)

Fox proof finished is what i meant. You are correct. It seems like a coop is never actually done.

Everyone knew what that was running around the coop though didn't they. I'm sure the littles have never seen one before but they knew.
It is so amazing how they just know these things.
I had Belle doing the aerial predator trill at 10 weeks, standing still as a statue. They were only pelicans mind you but for all she knew it was something flying over to attack 😅

Pancake Theif

Aurora was caught blue-beaked having swiped a piece of blueberry pancake from Sydney.
View attachment 2303967

I've been thinking about how when Maleficent mooched and stole i found it endearing. Compared to how when Aurora does it I just shake my head. I was worried that I had eyes for Mal 😍 and was judging Miss Aurora too harshly.

I have come to the conclusion that it is about how they went about it. Mal thrived and ran. Aurora bullies. This too could be the product of their being bully-able hens below Aurora in the order whereas there were not for Mal.

I'm sure there is a certain amount of idealism going on as Maleficent is right up there with Daisy, the greatest hen ever, in the pantheon of Fluffy Butt Acres greats.
Belle sounds like Mal, runs through and grabs food off the ground in front of Bok (or pinches it right out of her beak 😳) and keeps running to eat it somewhere safer. Bok doesn’t even know what has happened sometimes, Belle is the spotty brown flash that zooms by 😂

A New Morning Routine

Everyone here probably thinks that I am not overly fond of Sansa. I am always talking about how she is pecking everyone else and mean to my clear favorites Sydney and Phyllis. (I should run a post and have you rank my flock in order of my favorites as you perceive them and see how they match to my own)

The walnuts have started something special between Sansa and me. Most but not every morning, I stick a couple of walnuts in my pocket. I go out and sit in my chair under the magnolia tree and have my morning coffee with the flock like always.

I'll be out there 20 minutes or so and the flock will be done saying hello and will go on with their business (no more coffee clatch 😔). Once everyone has dispersed, Sansa will come over and hang out for a little bit under my side table. You know the one that had the petunias on when Lucky was a wee lass.

She will then peck my pocket for a walnut. Because of where she is at, the rest of the flock does not realize she is getting a treat and no one comes by to steal it from her. I'm talking about you Aurora. Its just Sansa, me, and the walnut. 🥰

Sansa looking up from under the table
View attachment 2305145

And for those who forget, Sansa is the the last hen to rest on me on their own.

View attachment 2305146
Love it, very cheeky Sansa ☺️

Wow, who would have thought it? Aurora one of the more matronly of the Aunts!
Just shows us chicken tenders tend to panic too soon!
Hahaha, I’ve been the same with my Snow the last few days. She’s a light Sussex so the feathers look pointed because of the pattern, but I’m pretty certain I’ve got no cockerel there, just my paranoia
I will admit though after seeing all these beautiful roosters of @Shadrach, @featherhead007 and @CrazyChookChookLady and many others (sorry, can’t remember all of you lovely people who have roosters) I so very much wish I could keep one here so then it wouldn’t matter either way. Very handsome devils!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom