The Wyandottes were 4 weeks. The Japs & GLWF are 6 & the Belgian about 12
I have tried to have them outside no later than 6 weeks but still have the heat plate for them. Although I will say Sydney was done providing heat for Ned and Lucky by 4 weeks.

Something scared the flock again today. I got home almost an hour after sunset. My routine when I get home after roosting is to check the upper coop, count birds and note which ones, then go to the main/lower coop and do the same. I was set to get a good visual on Ruby and Millie, who roost beside each other, and was shocked to count 11 chickens! Dorothy and Roxy had the full 5x5x6 tall coop to themselves and were not snuggled up.:(
I am sure you find this disconcerting. I do and I am very far from you. 😟

Nothing wrong with that. I'm not ready to leave the older ones out all night yet either. They are over 5 weeks but the temps still drop down into the low 30s at night. I do not want to put a heat lamp outside for risk of fire so inside they come at dark. I have been weaning them off the heat inside. They now sleep all night covered over with the lamp off and are doing fine. I've also been turning the lamp off for periods of time on the 3 week olds as well. If weather cooperates I think at 7 weeks i'll start leaving the older ones outside all night. The fun part has started, I have to teach them respect for the horses and how to watch out for their feet. That and not to try to bully the big chickens and give them their space. I think the horse part is going to be easier, today all they wanted to do was annoy the big chickens. Drumstick loves them though, several times he tried to call them over to him so he could show them bugs he found. They ignored him and instead tried to gang up on the hens, they actually chased poor butter. It was hysterical seeing her run for her life with 4 heathens hot on her heels.
I can't imagine a full grown hen being chased by chicks! Thats hysterical. 😆 🤣

@BY Bob may I please have special dispensation to share a fluffy butt today (Tuesday) instead of Friday? My Friday is going to be rather hectic.

View attachment 2561959
Always MJ. I love a Fluffy Butt any day and we will give you credit for Friday. I hope everything goes well for you on Friday. This is a pretty special Butt as well. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom