What a terrifying experience! I'm so glad they were all safe and accounted for! I lost my favorite hen Little Madeleine to a hawk the first part of December! We free range our chickens in a very large enclosed pen, with lots of tree's. There is one area that isn't covered and that's where the hawk got her. Since then the hawk has been back, but my roosters alert everyone and the all flee into the safety of the enclosed pen! Do you have very much property. If so maybe you could put in a free range pen where you have tree's and bushes. This is our place! The fence is 6' tall and the run is 110'x48' wide. We lost our other flocks to roaming dogs, so knew we needed to protect these beauties better!

Just to the left of my hubs is the auto door into their enclose pen!
View attachment 2610396
View attachment 2610395
Can you clarify a bit - the lush grassy area is the run, which has trees and is fenced in, correct? That's the bottom picture, with a garden to the left of it? And the "enclosed pen" is the collection of large structures behind and to the left of your DH, with the dirt floor?

We have 5 acres. We are set back from the road about 300 feet. In the front part it is a mix of deciduous trees, bushes & shrubs, some lawn and a small garden, mowed paths and apple trees. Our property line is pretty close on the left side, it is a hill of unoccupied deciduous forest. Across the street is a pine plantation with some deciduous foresting. The two forests are the homes of Cooper Hawks and Barred Owls and Crows (the Crows are helpful). Behind the house and to the right side it is open fields, another garden and a 1/4 acre pond, and a pine plantation behind that. We have a view of a 9-acre lake and an additional 4 acres of fields and 3 acres of pine woods. Home of Canada Geese, Mallard & Merganser & Wood Ducks, Herons, Red-Tailed Hawks and migrating Eagles.

For the non-Winter seasons I was thinking of putting in a moveable fencing system in the front area, and moveable aviary netting/camo swatches attached to the tractor coop, trees and the fencing. Plus some old benches or tables. It would encircle the coop tractor. The tractor is easy to move on the front section of our property in an area about 50' wide by 100' deep but the fencing could be around that. Behind the house I could get the tractor too but it is too open, a mixed-tall-grass field (though good for getting grasshoppers last year).

Monday Mug.
In memory of my sweet Bokky 💜
C93AFE50-8574-425B-AF8F-D9E54AB37DE0.jpeg
0264DBA1-EBC1-45A8-94C2-4350793CA2BE.jpeg
53C51C29-7374-4EDD-8889-8AF57E31EEF8.jpeg
21962123-50BC-40AC-B7C6-90AF0EB41D3B.jpeg
957CB10D-5810-4812-9479-C8E335632921.jpeg
A60F267E-8214-48DC-AC1F-A43C50CF318C.jpeg

Can you clarify a bit - the lush grassy area is the run, which has trees and is fenced in, correct? That's the bottom picture, with a garden to the left of it? And the "enclosed pen" is the collection of large structures behind and to the left of your DH, with the dirt floor?

We have 5 acres. We are set back from the road about 300 feet. In the front part it is a mix of deciduous trees, bushes & shrubs, some lawn and a small garden, mowed paths and apple trees. Our property line is pretty close on the left side, it is a hill of unoccupied deciduous forest. Across the street is a pine plantation with some deciduous foresting. The two forests are the homes of Cooper Hawks and Barred Owls and Crows (the Crows are helpful). Behind the house and to the right side it is open fields, another garden and a 1/4 acre pond, and a pine plantation behind that. We have a view of a 9-acre lake and an additional 4 acres of fields and 3 acres of pine woods. Home of Canada Geese, Mallard & Merganser & Wood Ducks, Herons, Red-Tailed Hawks and migrating Eagles.

For the non-Winter seasons I was thinking of putting in a moveable fencing system in the front area, and moveable aviary netting/camo swatches attached to the tractor coop, trees and the fencing. Plus some old benches or tables. It would encircle the coop tractor. The tractor is easy to move on the front section of our property in an area about 50' wide by 100' deep but the fencing could be around that. Behind the house I could get the tractor too but it is too open, a mixed-tall-grass field (though good for getting grasshoppers last year).
Yes, that's all correct! We also have 5 acres, the free range area & coop are on the back corner of our property! We planted the treeline in 1992 and a few of the others came later. We have fence surrounding about 2 acres around where our house sits. So, we tied into the original fence with the new 6' fence and also added more fencing to raise the height of our original fence line!

I was going to try and get a picture of it today, but I just didn't have time! This was from last year when we finished renovating the coop and had the free range pen finished! We actually built this coop and the enclosed pen over 20 years ago! I will try to get a better picture of the layout tomorrow. But it doesn't look as tidy as the below picture right now!
Coop and Pen Flowers & Landscape Blocks 6.10.2020.jpg

Here's a bit of a view from the yard, looking at the garden!
Garden Left to Right 5.29.2020.jpg

This is a picture taken from the gate this past winter!
Chickens and Snow  1.29.2021.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, that's all correct! We also have 5 acres and the free range area & coop are on the back corner of our property! We planted the treeline in 1992 and a few of the others came later. We have fence surrounding about 2 acres around our house. So we tied into that with the new 6' fence and also added more fencing to raise the height of our original fence line!

I was going to try and get a picture of it today, but I just didn't have time! This was from last year when we finished renovating the coop and had the free range pen finished! We actually built this coop and the enclosed pen over 20 years ago! I will try to get a better picture of the layout tomorrow. But it doesn't look as tidy as the below picture right now!
View attachment 2611828
Here's a bit of a view from the yard, looking at the garden!
View attachment 2611846
This is a picture taken from the gate this past winter!
View attachment 2611852
Beautiful, just lovely.

Back
Top Bottom