Will need a follow up to this!
You're sure to get one. No news yet... I took her out of the box last night as I was locking them up, but don't know where she ended up... I am pretty sure she stayed on the roost next to Ruby (they are normally besties, but Ruby has no tolerance for Millie's broodiness.)

This morning, she came out with everyone else. I haven't been back out there to see where she's hanging out, but it's cold and overcast, so I can only guess...

I climbed a ladder to take that pic, and there is 15 ft of space behind me. (They roost close together) Which I find amazing.
They definitely like to squish up together. Like this.

EA320BD2-2565-4B85-9013-3D9B451E96A1.jpeg
6EB15E23-E022-42A8-9D7D-59C9CE71B9A8.jpeg

Mine aren't too rough with me... except Buttercup has a hard, aggressive peck when it comes to food! What's hard is when they are young and suddenly see something interesting on your face. I've learned to recognize that sudden, intense stare and quickly squeeze my eyes closed. LOL.
Smart! I know that stare intimately ! :cool: Hence, the safety glasses.:D

Flock Size for Space

Bob, you have mentioned that you would love more chickens, but your space isn't set up for that. I applaud you. I find I have probably "maxed out" my space. While I don't see behavioral issues, I feel their health might be compromised if I crammed more in there. In California, they spend little time in the coop. The main coop is 5x5 (and taller than me) and the upper level is 3x5, plus I have that area underneath, which I call the sun room, which is also 3x5, but I don't count it in my coop square footage. That's about 3 sq. ft. of coop space per bird, which seems tight, but they pretty much only sleep and lay in there (they will pile in when there is a bad storm, but I put plastic around part of the run, which has a pitched tarp over it). There are 4x 5-foot roosts, plus two shorter ones in the back corners of the main coop, which ends up being about 2 feet of roost space per bird (they are usually pretty spread out, but there are two "favorite" roosts. Bridge decides who gets to roost up top with her, so there are usually only two birds up there).

The run is 16x10 plus 12.5x8, which works out to about 20 sq. ft. per bird. They get to free range pretty much every day after work, except for the shortest days of winter when I just can't get home before dark. So that ranges from only about 15 minutes in winter to sometimes 4 hours in summer, and pretty much almost all day most weekend days.

I once read that it's not good for chickens to live on the same ground for long periods of time, and that makes sense to me. I like to rotate the litter... take the stuff in the uncovered side of the run, scatter it around the yard, transfer the dry side of the run to the side I just emptied, and empty the coop litter into the dry side. In the fall, I also add LOTS of leaves to both sides for them to play in, and as you know, treat them to 50 pounds of rice hulls on either (or both!) side(s) periodically. The leaves, rice hulls and litter (I use pine shavings for bedding) provide a great material for them to scratch in and is great for the garden months down the road after the manure has broken down (I use it UNDER the potting & raised bed mix).

The coop (and even the little, red grow-out coop) is/are pretty dirty right now. I need a couple hot, dry days, as I'd like to not only completely empty the litter, scrape off poop and vacuum dust, but I'd like to scrub things down with a vinegar wash. This probably won't happen until June.

Anyway, it seems like Bridge (5) is my most robust bird, followed by the 4-year olds (except Ruby with her issues). Why don't the 2-year-olds seem as healthy as the older birds? I can see why the pullets don't... they are bottom of the pecking order.

Does anyone else see this trend? That the older ones actually seem healthier than the younger ones? That's why I recently treated for worms and coccidiosis. I know some of you own large properties with seemingly unlimited space. If I let me girls free range all day, I would most certainly have significant predator losses, since we have hawks, eagles, great horned owls, raccoons, coyotes, bobcats, fox and mountain lions (and probably others I am forgetting).

I feel a little guilty for maxing out my space. I give them the best life I possibly can (clean water, high-quality organic feed, greens all year, avian veterinary care when needed).

Anyone care to discuss a little? Is that OK, Bob?
I will caveat by reminding you that I know nothing about chickens (though I realized today that Maggie, Diana and Elizabeth are over two years old now), but from every you have shown is of your space in videos etc., your tribe is very well provisioned and cared for.
I do find the guidance of 10 square foot per chicken of run space a bit laughable now I have seen how they love to wander around, but on a bad day yours have double that and when they are out and about they have much more.
Could it be that older birds are healthier because they are the survivors?

I wonder why mine spread out? It's warm here, but Alex is in California, too. In fact, it's probably a few degrees warmer where he is. Though, Alex's weren't crammed tight like yours, RC!
Mine are well trained, Except for Emily. Who I have in with me at the moment.

I will caveat by reminding you that I know nothing about chickens (though I realized today that Maggie, Diana and Elizabeth are over two years old now), but from every you have shown is of your space in videos etc., your tribe is very well provisioned and cared for.
I do find the guidance of 10 square foot per chicken of run space a bit laughable now I have seen how they love to wander around, but on a bad day yours have double that and when they are out and about they have much more.
Could it be that older birds are healthier because they are the survivors?
True statement with my tribe RC.

Back
Top Bottom