Isabel has missed me too.

Can I come up and visit?
20200130_091137.jpg

Well, Chickie has her implant in. She laid a mangled egg this morning, which looked like it had spots of blood on it. I was worried it may have cut her on the way out. I stuck it in a snap-lock bag and took it to show Dr Nikki. It had to wait until after work and what I saw of Chickie today, she seemed a bit off. We were early for our appointment and they were running a bit late, so we ended up waiting about half an hour. Chickie pretty much napped the whole time we were waiting. I showed Dr Nikki the egg and said I thought it might be an idea to do another week’s worth of antibiotics, just to be on the safe side. She thought that was reasonable and dispensed them. She popped the implant in and said Chickie may be groggy for a little bit. I brought her home and offered her some food, which she wasn’t interested in. She wedged herself between the wall and the Tiger Grass and napped some more. When I came back she was getting stuck into the feed, which made me so happy. I’ll give her the antibiotic just before bedtime.
Please let us know how Chickie does with her implant!

Well, Chickie has her implant in. She laid a mangled egg this morning, which looked like it had spots of blood on it. I was worried it may have cut her on the way out. I stuck it in a snap-lock bag and took it to show Dr Nikki. It had to wait until after work and what I saw of Chickie today, she seemed a bit off. We were early for our appointment and they were running a bit late, so we ended up waiting about half an hour. Chickie pretty much napped the whole time we were waiting. I showed Dr Nikki the egg and said I thought it might be an idea to do another week’s worth of antibiotics, just to be on the safe side. She thought that was reasonable and dispensed them. She popped the implant in and said Chickie may be groggy for a little bit. I brought her home and offered her some food, which she wasn’t interested in. She wedged herself between the wall and the Tiger Grass and napped some more. When I came back she was getting stuck into the feed, which made me so happy. I’ll give her the antibiotic just before bedtime.

I hope that she get's better for you.

How is Chickie doing today?

@LozzyR I may have missed this.. but what is the implant for.. what does it do..?

Chickie is an ex-battery Isa Brown, so bred to be a little egg factory. I’ve already lost one of my girls to egg peritonitis; in fact it’s a year ago today that Henny Penny died. I noticed how paper-thin Chickie and Lucy’s egg-shells had become and have been supplementing their calcium. My vet told me about the Suprelorin implant; how it’s meant for male dogs but also works in chickens; albeit for a shorter time though. It switches off the egg cycle and it’s effective for about 6-10 months. It cost AU$330.00, although there is an agricultural hospital at a Sydney uni that charges $200.00, but it wasn’t worth a four-hour round trip to save $130.00. Chickie is three, hopefully she will only need one implant, maybe two before her egg cycle shuts off naturally. Lucy will be four in March and seems to have stopped laying. I know there is one person at work who thinks I’m crazy for spending hundreds of dollars on a chook, they are just primary producers to her, and when they’ve stopped earning their keep, she takes them somewhere and abandons them to predators, just so she doesn’t have to pay anything to feed them or have them put down. :he

Chickie is an ex-battery Isa Brown, so bred to be a little egg factory. I’ve already lost one of my girls to egg peritonitis; in fact it’s a year ago today that Henny Penny died. I noticed how paper-thin Chickie and Lucy’s egg-shells had become and have been supplementing their calcium. My vet told me about the Suprelorin implant; how it’s meant for male dogs but also works in chickens; albeit for a shorter time though. It switches off the egg cycle and it’s effective for about 6-10 months. It cost AU$330.00, although there is an agricultural hospital at a Sydney uni that charges $200.00, but it wasn’t worth a four-hour round trip to save $130.00. Chickie is three, hopefully she will only need one implant, maybe two before her egg cycle shuts off naturally. Lucy will be four in March and seems to have stopped laying. I know there is one person at work who thinks I’m crazy for spending hundreds of dollars on a chook, they are just primary producers to her, and when they’ve stopped earning their keep, she takes them somewhere and abandons them to predators, just so she doesn’t have to pay anything to feed them or have them put down. :he
Ooohhh, wow! You are a very good chicken mom :love :hugs... thank you...

Finally got some pics of the gals.. went out today and added a bunch of pine shavings for all that slop! Although, the run wasn’t horrible.. I didn’t want it to get worse... we haven’t stopped raining... one sunny day.. one rainy day.. one sunny.. one rainy..... Have not been letting them out into the yard as it is full on pig sty .... pics aren’t great.. no one wanted to cooperate and Lilly wouldn’t get out of the way... she also improvised in the coop with an actual sand bath since the ground is saturated...

Pics won’t load.. maybe too many.. I’ll try again later..
Seem like BYC has been very wonky today...

Back
Top Bottom