Sylvia & Legertha? I wasn't sure what those babies were...they were just awesome cute! (I thought Polish had a large bump on their head...plus the feathers...they seem to only have a small top-knot) I seem to have hopped onto BYC/this thread after he already had them & was posting pics.

So...ooops, my bad.:oops::duc

I'm only up to the early 600ish page wise..then read the recent posts....It can be quite confusing, actually...it's like I'm in a time warp sometimes -trying to plow through old & still read new...with roughly 5500 pages and LOTS of changes in between, lol.

I need to read the old stuff faster so I'm up to speed. It is soooo daunting, though, the # of pages!
Yes Sylvie and Legertha are Candy Corn Polish that I have gotten to be Phyllis' new mates. I did this because of how the others treated Phyllis.

I've definitely been sliced by yucca and have had cactus needles stuck in me. What a true survivor! 😆

The thing is...I think the whole lot of us are pretty tough here...we endure lots of pecks and talon scratches on the regular 😉
Reminds me of the movies “saw” 1,2,3,4 :lau

I’ve put the egg in the coop.The female came running when she saw her eggy.they’re in the coop now and as far as I’m concerned she’s a broody.But I’m not sure if the egg is fertile.I don’t want to depress her by giving her loads of unfertilised eggs.pls can someone show me a rare technique for understanding the difference between freshly laid fertilised and unfertilised eggs?i already know the candling technique and it’s gonna take days but I’m leaving my grans today since the caretakers will care for my chickens
Congrats on that first egg, it is always something special. If she's been with the roo from the beginning it probably is fertile. A couple things to consider though if you really want her to hatch. Was this her first egg? If so you do not want to incubate the first pullet eggs. You need to wait a few weeks for the eggs to come up to size. While the pullet eggs can still be incubated, you run the risk of hatching difficulties where the chick does not have enough room or gets malposition and can not hatch without assistance. I've had to do a few assisted hatches due to mal-positioning and they are not fun. These were not on pullet eggs either, full size Marans eggs, but a few just grow so big they can not hatch without help. Assisted hatch chicks are weak the first few days and sadly I've had a few not make it even with extra help. Another thing to consider is as I'm assuming your in the United States that winter is coming on. If she is broody she wont sit until she's laid a clutch, and we will assume she'll lay around 7 or so before she's ready. You are looking at chicks hatching towards the end of October, which where I'm at is a terrible time to have young chicks. My 1 hen has 2 that are almost 2 weeks old and Thursday the temperatures dropped down to the mid 40's and night and 70s during the day. Frick and Frack are freezing first thing in the mornings and Holly is having to have them under her every 5 minutes or so to keep them warm until mid-morning. If you really want her to hatch and raise her own babies, I'm all for it, and I wish you well. But it will be better to wait until spring if you can for everyone involved.

Creative types tend to gravitate towards Macs, something that I did 20 years ago.

And as it’s Friday, here’s a Fluffy Butt!
View attachment 2744028
I'm creative...crafter...and I can't stand Macs

Tax
20210924_173139.jpg

Congrats on that first egg, it is always something special. If she's been with the roo from the beginning it probably is fertile. A couple things to consider though if you really want her to hatch. Was this her first egg? If so you do not want to incubate the first pullet eggs. You need to wait a few weeks for the eggs to come up to size. While the pullet eggs can still be incubated, you run the risk of hatching difficulties where the chick does not have enough room or gets malposition and can not hatch without assistance. I've had to do a few assisted hatches due to mal-positioning and they are not fun. These were not on pullet eggs either, full size Marans eggs, but a few just grow so big they can not hatch without help. Assisted hatch chicks are weak the first few days and sadly I've had a few not make it even with extra help. Another thing to consider is as I'm assuming your in the United States that winter is coming on. If she is broody she wont sit until she's laid a clutch, and we will assume she'll lay around 7 or so before she's ready. You are looking at chicks hatching towards the end of October, which where I'm at is a terrible time to have young chicks. My 1 hen has 2 that are almost 2 weeks old and Thursday the temperatures dropped down to the mid 40's and night and 70s during the day. Frick and Frack are freezing first thing in the mornings and Holly is having to have them under her every 5 minutes or so to keep them warm until mid-morning. If you really want her to hatch and raise her own babies, I'm all for it, and I wish you well. But it will be better to wait until spring if you can for everyone involved.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom