I'm in trouble. I know this and it hasn't even got to me yet.
I've been putting in a lot of chicken hours. A lot of those hours have been spent trying to work out who is who, who does what and who needs the most help.
I've done a fair bit of work as well but mainly I've been getting to know the group.
Most days this has meant at least two and sometimes four hours out of the run.
That's the coop and run in the background. There is at least a further 6 metres directly behind me and more to my left and right. That's a lot of space and freedom compared to the run. A few hens have shaken off their agoraphobia faster than others. I've got two that will be in the vegetable patches before long.
View attachment 2870270
This has become the safe area. There are a couple of trees, I've left a large clump of weeds and nettles to the right of the picture and there are patches of long grass. The chickens like this area. It's close to what they know and they can survey the future adventuring from a safe place. They tend to head out on expeditions and as long as I or Henry are close by they'll happily forage as far as we will go.
View attachment 2870280
Henry tends to stop them once they get to close to the goose enclosure which is to the left of the picture. I let them go into the goose enclosure but keep an eye on them. The geese while tolerant are not overly impressed with having chickens in their home.
Diet and hygine has taken a major turn for the better for all concerend. I clean the coop out daily to a reasonable standard. With that many chickens roosting in such a small space it needs doing.
Only three hens are laying eggs. They lay in the second broody coop at the back of the main coop.
I did wonder how long it would take before a hen started to think that making a nest away from the coop might be a good idea. This hen,one of the Golden Comets has been veturing further than any of the others and for the past few evenings I've watched carefully because she does a temporary disappearing act. She's been investigating all the dense udergrowth, bushes and places close to the rather rickety fence that surrounds the "free range" area. I've seen this behaviour a lot before and I know she's looking for a nest site. I think Henry knows to.
Suppose I was to say that I think she is thinking about making a nest and sitting on eggs. She's an Ex Batt bear in mind and I am told by many with great authority that this just doesn't happen. I know what I'm seeing. She is most definitely looking for a nest site. If Henry had spent more time free ranging and had less hens I would bet he would be helping her look.
Of course, the experts will say I'm deluded but just say for a moment that I'm not and she is looking for a nest site having spent the last year laying in the broody coop, the only sensible place she's had regular access to.
The implication of this, if I am right about what I'm seeing is she is already thinking about going broody.
View attachment 2870323
Oh, @Shadrach, sounds like you might be a chicken Daddy! :love :love

Just because she was an ex-batt and didn't have the usual opportunities to learn and explore doesn't mean she isn't a hen and doesn't have some intelligence nor instinct! Sounds like you have given them all the opportunity to learn, explore, & be real chickens...and one just might reward you with the proverbial cigar!

Whatever Happened to New Dads Passing Out Cigars?
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...2ahUKEwja0t-lrdXzAhVHAM0KHbF_ANgQMygDegQIARAt
New Dads Passing Out Cigars ...
thedailybeast.com

That's Lima at the front of the picture with her Legbar friend who is going to be called Similie, aka Sim on her right.
In the hole is Fret. That's Matilda's white arse in the background.
Lima is senior to Fret and Cloud and on Par with Matilda.:th
View attachment 2870410
Of course :rolleyes:it would be Fret in the hole! Maybe she should have been called 'Cafret', cat & fret combined:gig

They all look like they are having a chicken-y good time!

I mean. I know how to sew, but I have yet to see the actual pattern layout. I would use something natural and breathable like cotton. If it's for catching poo, I'd think four ply for the thickness.
Not a great pattern display, nor a great speaker...but a pretty cool idea and she does show how to measure to make diapers - and I like the cool idea for the diaper liner! Not a particularly good sewer, but it might be usable for you, being experienced in stitchery.

Better visuals, and show a pattern, but not sure easy to replicate without a bit of experimenting, as not 'traceable' unless you have a very large screen monitor & tracing paper!

They don't need nappies. Make them a nest box or failing that but one of those kiddies play pens and let them mess about in the kitchen. I am of couurse assuming you don't have carpet in your kitchen.
Chicken poop is easy to clean off a hard floor. Seriously, I did for years and for a lot more than two.
:goodpost:

Just imagine how much poop will stick to the fluffy butt...

Last edited:
It is very easy to not notice things like that...unless you intentionally check - by feeling their body, keel bone, and such. Chickens are good at hiding illness, and their feathers can hide lots of ill, too! When you are worried about distressing her when she isn't feeling well, it makes it all the more difficult. Don't beat yourself up - you are attending to her the best you can and, like all of us, learning and improving as you go.

I should have thought to mention electrolytes when you mentioned diarrhea, shame on me for not thinking of that, as I know better. :(

Keeping my fingers :flcrossed for you an Minnie :hugs
Yes, I know better, too. Most of us do. Vitamins and electrolytes are good in times of stress. I, too, apologize for not mentioning it!

I'm in trouble. I know this and it hasn't even got to me yet.
I've been putting in a lot of chicken hours. A lot of those hours have been spent trying to work out who is who, who does what and who needs the most help.
I've done a fair bit of work as well but mainly I've been getting to know the group.
Most days this has meant at least two and sometimes four hours out of the run.
That's the coop and run in the background. There is at least a further 6 metres directly behind me and more to my left and right. That's a lot of space and freedom compared to the run. A few hens have shaken off their agoraphobia faster than others. I've got two that will be in the vegetable patches before long.
View attachment 2870270
This has become the safe area. There are a couple of trees, I've left a large clump of weeds and nettles to the right of the picture and there are patches of long grass. The chickens like this area. It's close to what they know and they can survey the future adventuring from a safe place. They tend to head out on expeditions and as long as I or Henry are close by they'll happily forage as far as we will go.
View attachment 2870280
Henry tends to stop them once they get to close to the goose enclosure which is to the left of the picture. I let them go into the goose enclosure but keep an eye on them. The geese while tolerant are not overly impressed with having chickens in their home.
Diet and hygine has taken a major turn for the better for all concerend. I clean the coop out daily to a reasonable standard. With that many chickens roosting in such a small space it needs doing.
Only three hens are laying eggs. They lay in the second broody coop at the back of the main coop.
I did wonder how long it would take before a hen started to think that making a nest away from the coop might be a good idea. This hen,one of the Golden Comets has been veturing further than any of the others and for the past few evenings I've watched carefully because she does a temporary disappearing act. She's been investigating all the dense udergrowth, bushes and places close to the rather rickety fence that surrounds the "free range" area. I've seen this behaviour a lot before and I know she's looking for a nest site. I think Henry knows to.
Suppose I was to say that I think she is thinking about making a nest and sitting on eggs. She's an Ex Batt bear in mind and I am told by many with great authority that this just doesn't happen. I know what I'm seeing. She is most definitely looking for a nest site. If Henry had spent more time free ranging and had less hens I would bet he would be helping her look.
Of course, the experts will say I'm deluded but just say for a moment that I'm not and she is looking for a nest site having spent the last year laying in the broody coop, the only sensible place she's had regular access to.
The implication of this, if I am right about what I'm seeing is she is already thinking about going broody.
View attachment 2870323
Oh, goodness! See what the right conditions can do! I must say, I am quite impressed!

I’m so sad to say that Charlie is dead. :hit I came home this evening and hubby told me he found her dead on the ground. She would have been three in November. Her voice sounded a little different for a day or so and I noticed today I could hear her breathing (through her nostrils, she wasn’t panting). Otherwise she didn’t seem any different. She laid an egg today and squatted for me. We buried her with a sliver of cheese to pay the ferryman and a blueberry for her to snack on for the journey.

I honestly don’t know if I can do this anymore. It’s been nearly a year since we lost Lucy, which it the longest we’ve gone without a death. I’m struggling to do the maintenance required and the meds are making it difficult to care about stuff. I’ll see how I feel in a few days.

As it’s still Monday, I’d like to honour Charlie with Monday Mugshots. RIP my big beautiful bully. :hit

View attachment 2869772

View attachment 2869773

View attachment 2869774

View attachment 2869775
I'm so sorry Loz. What a nasty shock for you. :hugs 🥺 :hugs

That was a lovely photo tribute for her. She had such melting eyes. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom