It should be checked daily, but continue until the leg is better/stronger. I have used a different method for splay leg with excellent results. I'll try to find the link, and edit this post shortly.

Edit:
https://104homestead.com/fixing-spraddle-leg-drinking-glass/#:~:text=The chick is nestled into,are in the proper position.

Another video with lots of information:

The trick is the appropriate sized & shaped glass. It should be about as wide at the base as the chicks shoulders, with a slight taper at the bottom, and high enough so s/he doesn't 'pop out' too easily. The idea is that the glass prevents the leg from sliding outward, while the smooth surface of the sides allows it to try to climb out without getting enough traction to achieve that, thereby giving the leg a good workout - physical therapy for splayed legs! (Make sure you put something grippy on the inside bottom of the glass, though, so at rest the legs have something to grip on and be at the proper alignment.)
If caught early, 1-2 20 min 'exercise' treatments 2 days in a row should be enough. Someone gave me a chick to 'fix' once where it was severe, and it took multiple days of 2-3 'treatments' per day, but in less than a week, it was running around like all the others!
This is amazing! The ingenuity is so cool!

This is amazing! The ingenuity is so cool!
There are currently billions of songbirds in my yard. Frankly I wish it would eat some of them. I have video somewhere of the songbirds in the run with the littles I will try and find. It is ridiculous. I stop feeding them in the spring when they told us not to and now I have more than I have ever had before.

To answer your question, I believe that it swooped after a song bird and missed. I do not believe that any of the chickens were its target. They were not anywhere near where it was hunting.
That’s not a song that they are singing, it’s a call to dinner! :barnie

Heck no. I'd be close to drawing blood myself.

I know I'm over protective.

I wish there was a way I could let my three know the coop and run is not solely theirs
Is there a way to partition off part of the run of the big cop so the new girls could access that and have their little coop? That way they would be safe, but have a bit more space?

It should be checked daily, but continue until the leg is better/stronger. I have used a different method for splay leg with excellent results. I'll try to find the link, and edit this post shortly.

Edit:
https://104homestead.com/fixing-spraddle-leg-drinking-glass/#:~:text=The chick is nestled into,are in the proper position.

Another video with lots of information:

The trick is the appropriate sized & shaped glass. It should be about as wide at the base as the chicks shoulders, with a slight taper at the bottom, and high enough so s/he doesn't 'pop out' too easily. The idea is that the glass prevents the leg from sliding outward, while the smooth surface of the sides allows it to try to climb out without getting enough traction to achieve that, thereby giving the leg a good workout - physical therapy for splayed legs! (Make sure you put something grippy on the inside bottom of the glass, though, so at rest the legs have something to grip on and be at the proper alignment.)
If caught early, 1-2 20 min 'exercise' treatments 2 days in a row should be enough. Someone gave me a chick to 'fix' once where it was severe, and it took multiple days of 2-3 'treatments' per day, but in less than a week, it was running around like all the others!
Outstanding! I'm so glad you were here to help! :wee :wee

Back
Top Bottom