Nest results: 1 blue pullet egg, 1 brown/tan/dark cream pullet egg (no where close to Pear sized). Not sure if brown egg came from Twirp or if Cuckoo or Jessica got in earlier and laid it. Twirp still has almost nothing for wattles. Can't see Thing's, Storm is too young and the rest all have bigger waddles/comb. At a guess, Twirp is practicing but not quite ready to lay. Still productive day, 4 eggs and day not gone yet.

Bubba is sulking at the moment. Not sure where it came from but a plastic grocery store bag blew into the backyard. It spooked the cochin girls and he proceeded to attack and kill it for them. He was having fun killing the bag but was getting close to dragging it into Dirt's stall and the last thing I need is for the bottomless pit to eat it so I went out and took it from him. He has pouted for the last hour now looking for the bag to kill to show off to what I'm thinking he's beginning to feel are HIS ladies.
Bubba the Brave!

Color me SHOCKED!

Castor actually took a couple of swipes at Silver! She backed off, then came on again and he retreated into his house. She tries to make a regular visit to his food dish (that's why it's still empty: haven't fed him yet).

Attachments

• 20211024_174219.jpg
    20211024_174219.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 1
How loud is your husband? :p:D
Haha! It's kind of funny though because he really didn't want chickens since his only experience of them was meat birds kept in poor conditions and they cannibalized each other. He is not as into the chickens as I am (that's not possible!), but he looks after them happily while I am at work and messages me to report on how many eggs etc, as he is retired. I am pretty sure that if we did have a rooster, he would come to appreciate him as he has come to appreciate the hens.

Haha! It's kind of funny though because he really didn't want chickens since his only experience of them was meat birds kept in poor conditions and they cannibalized each other. He is not as into the chickens as I am (that's not possible!), but he looks after them happily while I am at work and messages me to report on how many eggs etc, as he is retired. I am pretty sure that if we did have a rooster, he would come to appreciate him as he has come to appreciate the hens.
Your husband is aware that hens can be louder and cause more of a ruckus then the poor rooster right? Yes my boys crow, but they do not hold a candle to my girls when they are fighting over the same nest box.

Your husband is aware that hens can be louder and cause more of a ruckus then the poor rooster right? Yes my boys crow, but they do not hold a candle to my girls when they are fighting over the same nest box.
I have never actually heard a rooster crowing in person, but I can attest to the fact that hens can be very loud, especially when it comes to laying drama!
I was telling him today about roosters tidbitting and breaking up fights between the hens and he seemed really surprised.

Back
Top Bottom