Here is one of my Blue JGs. Is this a feather shredding issue? She's looked like this for awhile. It seems like it's gotten worse since she started laying and the rooster has been, um, paying attention to her.

The other Blue JG doesn't have this problem.

They both have nice fluffy butts. I'll get a picture of that sometime too.

Attachments

• IMG_1899.JPG
    IMG_1899.JPG
    371.5 KB · Views: 2
? She's a BR? :confused:She has WHITE legs...now I'm confused.:confused:..that was one of the few chickens I thought I had down pat!

Well, confusing or not, she is a lovely lady:love

Ummm .... pssst...@Ribh,... she isn't frizzled:gig:gig
There are quite a few differences in breed standards between America & other countries. For example Frizzle is a breed out here [& in parts of Europe] as well as being other breeds; Aracaunas can have tails, muffs, topknots etc but aren't usually tailess ~ & they do lay blue eggs.
Beatha, my splash Aracauna. She's not frizzled either. 🤣
1638576905233.jpeg

But Titania, who's a frizzle mix of some sort, is. :plbb :D
20210504_135900.jpg

There are quite a few differences in breed standards between America & other countries. For example Frizzle is a breed out here [& in parts of Europe] as well as being other breeds; Aracaunas can have tails, muffs, topknots etc but aren't usually tailess ~ & they do lay blue eggs.
Beatha, my splash Aracauna. She's not frizzled either. 🤣
View attachment 2917720
But Titania, who's a frizzle mix of some sort, is. :plbb :D
View attachment 2917724
They are quite lovely! She looks like a huge powder puff with a head & tail attached❤️

How do you keep them warm in cold temps? Doesn't the 'frizzling' destroy some of their ability to trap pockets of air in their feathers to keep them warm?

They are quite lovely! She looks like a huge powder puff with a head & tail attached❤️

How do you keep them warm in cold temps? Doesn't the 'frizzling' destroy some of their ability to trap pockets of air in their feathers to keep them warm?
I'm sub~tropical. Even in the middle of winter we rarely dip into single figures C. Most of my frizzles are tiny & some of the bigger birds don't mind them roosting under their wings to keep a bit warmer. Wet is more of a thing. I can't have them getting absolutely soaked. You can see why Shad calls them *feather dusters*. 🤣

Rosie is still dropping feathers, not seeing any mites on anyone. And her feathers are looking a bit shredded, even the new ones.

Did you hear back from your vet @BY Bob
The vet called when I could not answer the phone. She left a message saying she called. I don't expect she will call again until she is back from vacation in a few weeks. Sansa will have to wait sadly.

Back
Top Bottom