Speaking of good genetics........
This week is Fat Birds birthday. She's ten years old this week but I don't know the day.
Also unknown is whether she was one of the three from imported eggs from the breeder in Marans, or from the pair brought over from France.
Fat Bird comes from the area Marans in France whichever of the above is correct. She is a proper Marans. Unfortunately her men died from what I believe was the excess of calcium originally fed to them as layers feed when I got here. Calcium can be the silent killer in males.
I will be posting pictures. You wouldn't expect anything less now would you.

I feel like we should have a cake. 🤔

Oh dear. This guy spent over 10 minutes exploring ways to break into the Chicken Palace. I think I really am going to try and rig up an electric wire. I am a bit scared because it seems like there are a lot of things to decide and figure out - but reviews on BYC make it sound doable.
Now you know and that's half the battle.

Oh dear. This guy spent over 10 minutes exploring ways to break into the Chicken Palace. I think I really am going to try and rig up an electric wire. I am a bit scared because it seems like there are a lot of things to decide and figure out - but reviews on BYC make it sound doable.

Raccoons scare me like weasels. I can see that the chicken palace is tough. I understand why you would consider a live wire.

Skunk and cat were back here last night but no digging ocurred.

Now you know and that's half the battle.
Raccoons scare me like weasels. I can see that the chicken palace is tough. I understand why you would consider a live wire.

Yes agree with both of you. I think I can fit a live wire to the baseboard (not yet attached) which will be 10" deep at the bottom to retain the litter. Apparently most predators explore low down with their noses first. Although I lost Scary to a fox :( I think that was really opportunistic (which is why I blame myself), whereas the raccoons are planners. I got several videos over the 10 minutes and s/he was systematically exploring every possible weak spot. Fortunately s/he didn't start digging as there are a couple of places where the skirt is not yet installed. The raccoon went on to overturn every bucket, box and bag I had left outside where I have been trying to clear up the garage.

Last edited:
Flipping Flying Pullets

I can't say why but Sansa just flew the pool in the same place af Sydney. I had just let them out and eas taking their waterer in to refill it when I heard the flapping. I turned around and she landed right where Sydney did.

Just like Sydney she was paralyzed and I had to pick her up and put her back with the others.

I have no idea why she did it unless she was sick of Sydney bragging about it.

The Whole Yard

Then before I can fill the waterer and return, Sydney was on the deck! Usually it takes weeks to get pullets to come around to pool to the deck. Not Sydney. She briefly explored the deck, jumped down and explored the side yard where Lilly was.

Lilly then became interested and trailed Sydney as she went back to the coop complex, ducked in through the side door, went under the coop, and popped out with the other two.

A complete walk-a-bout finished.

They are going to give me a heart attack today.

I Believe I am going to have to Deal with the Skunks

The smaller skunk returned on Friday night and again last night. It is Friday's developments that concern me so.

Watch as the skunk crosses to the fence line. I have done a blow-up of it when it reaches the fence line add it's tail pops up. I thought this very odd when I first saw the video.

View attachment 2033623

This is what the skunk was doing.

View attachment 2033624
View attachment 2033625

It returned Saturday night and explored the other side of the run without digging.

What to do? I do not like this at all.

It's mating season for skunks right now. She is likely looking to make a den somewhere. They will also take the path of least resistance when looking for a home.

Spreading stone and laying mothballs around will help to keep them away. They also don't like noise, try setting up a radio around where they are digging.

It's mating season for skunks right now. She is likely looking to make a den somewhere. They will also take the path of least resistance when looking for a home.

Spreading stone and laying mothballs around will help to keep them away. They also don't like noise, try setting up a radio around where they are digging.

Mothballs, interesting. Do I need to worry about the chickens eating them?

Back
Top Bottom