That first picture, Oh my!! Phyllis is like 'How'd I get HERE? I was just dry and toasty now I'm all WET!! Featherless chicken come save me!!!'

They are now getting rained upon. Phyllis will be damp for a while

Last edited:
Wanted to share the card my sis sent to me.. thought it was perfect for Bob’s Fluffy Butt thread :lol:
3706B5C9-1122-40C2-9D52-C4B36D3F934F.jpeg
E5D2F6C9-6A75-48E7-8BA1-D0719AA7743A.jpeg

I'm sure I have probably missed something along the way, but with Aurora being so aggressive, I wonder how she wound up as 3rd bird before?

I will try to bring you up to speed on the pecking order. I added 2 EEs, Maleficent and Aurora to my flock which at the time consisted of 3 hens and 1 rooster. The rooster, Jabber, would leave us before the two pullets ever merged with the flock. That left 3 hens. Here was the established pecking order among those 3:
  1. Patsy
  2. Lilly
  3. Hattie
Between the 2 little pullets, Aurora was clearly #1. She was vicious towards Maleficent. Of course I’m and old softie and root for the underdog so Mal pulled at my heart strings. She and I became very close.

My flock believes in seniority. So when the lead hen passes, number 2 takes over and when new pullets are added, they come in at the bottom. When i merged everyone together the pecking order came out thus:
  1. Patsy
  2. Lilly
  3. Hattie
  4. Aurora
  5. Maleficent
2 things would then drive changes in the pecking order. Patsy would pass And everyone just slid up one spot.

Then as near as I can remember, Maleficent started laying a couple of weeks before Aurora. Around the same time she moved up in the pecking order to 3rd and Aurora fell down to 4th. Egg laying can effect the pecking order. Mal was never a shy hen and she was as ruthless towards Aurora as Aurora was to her.

Then Maleficent was killed. That left me with the following pecking order.
  1. Lilly
  2. Hattie
  3. Aurora
I expect when the flocks merge together at some point, we will see something like this:
  1. Lilly
  2. Hattie
  3. Aurora
  4. Sansa
  5. Sydney
  6. Phyllis D
Does that help?

Does she ever lay a clutch of eggs for you? When I lived in Linglestown, we had a brush pile and ever Spring we'd have a mallard on a clutch of eggs.

No they vacate the area when I open the pool in April. They just vacation here.

Besides, Lilly has tried to kill the male twice. They are not welcome to leave the water. She will attack him.

Back
Top Bottom