Bum cleaning detail stand by.:D

Lilly is clearly in need. If it was reliably warm it would get done. I can't put a damp chicken out in the cold. I know I left Phyllis out after she fell in the pool but she wasn't as soaked as a butt cleaning makes them.

she has enjoyed her life up until now.

Focus on how much better her life has been because you were her guardian. There are billions of chickens that will never be as fortunate as her. You have done very well by her.

I know all too well what you are experiencing, we all do. Try to remember the good. It's hard. It's very hard.

:hugs :hugs

I didn’t realise how fragile they could be, the high-production breeds especially. Dr Nikki has been great in all the care she has given, I asked her once how she doesn’t get so upset having to put so many sick animals down. She said she thinks of it as a gift she can give to end their suffering. We saw her once, right after she had put a dog down and I asked if she was ok. I don’t think I could cope with being a vet.
I find the problem is they are excellent at concealing weaknesses and that includes sickness.
By the time a chicken looks sick, it's serious. I see every chicken here three times a day minimum and I know them pretty well. It's not until they relax I've found that you can start to see those with problems; right down to something as simple as Scaly Leg Mite.
I've had an ongoing problem with some of the hens when they sit. It's taken me months to work out what the problem is and how to tackle it. So, there's that aspect as well; you, nor just about anyone else knows exactly what the problem is and that adds to the difficulty.

Moon and Treacle arrived again today; Fat Bird was in the nest box having thrown Mel and Hurry out. It's a bit of Fat Birds unfathomable behaviour. Fat Bird will visit the various nests sites of her tribes hens and she throws them out. To some she will do this repeatedly. Needless to say I have my theories.
Before Fat Birds arrival.
P2282645.JPG

Fat Bird.
P2282646.JPG

There was no way Moon was going to get into that nest box while Fat Bird was in it; I mean one just doesn't.
Moon went to investigate the maternity unit. Tackle had laid an egg in there earlier and I had two other eggs already in place as encouragement.
Moon had just got settled when Fat Bird turned up, with Cillin and threw her out. Fat Bird didn't sit in the maternity unit; she just went in and evicted Moon.
1578822-37a6c6c2eec87c0fa15983d1ff7429fd.webp.gif

I went to feed the others their mid day feed and when I came back Moon was back in the maternity unit and Treacle was keeping guard.
P2282651.JPG

They were there for a while and when I next saw them they were eating together. I also saw Moon crouch for Treacle.
P2282655.JPG

On the other hand, Tap, Moons sister is not really getting the idea. I expect a couple of dropped eggs from pullets and I found Taps egg under the hay rack so she isn't even laying in the nest. That's at least five days now. The nest site she has chosen is not safe; not from predators and not structurally stable.
P2282652.JPG

Focus on how much better her life has been because you were her guardian. There are billions of chickens that will never be as fortunate as her. You have done very well by her.

I know all too well what you are experiencing, we all do. Try to remember the good. It's hard. It's very hard.

:hugs :hugs

I'm sorry Chickie isn't doing well @LozzyR . You have given her the best chicken life possible. You have gone above and beyond what most do.

If her time to pass comes, I'll pray for peace for her and you. :hugs:hugs:hugs

Thank you, she has had a good life. I just wish it was for longer. Lucy’s still fighting fit and she’s nearly four. I think Chickie’s always been disadvantaged though, given that she’s missing half her beak. She was fighting me force-feeding her this morning though.

I find the problem is they are excellent at concealing weaknesses and that includes sickness.
By the time a chicken looks sick, it's serious. I see every chicken here three times a day minimum and I know them pretty well. It's not until they relax I've found that you can start to see those with problems; right down to something as simple as Scaly Leg Mite.
I've had an ongoing problem with some of the hens when they sit. It's taken me months to work out what the problem is and how to tackle it. So, there's that aspect as well; you, nor just about anyone else knows exactly what the problem is and that adds to the difficulty.

I agree, they’re very good at hiding it. I didn’t realise Penny was sick until she was very sick. I had noticed she hadn’t laid for over a week but didn’t realise what that could mean. I’m very aware of it now and get worried when someone hasn’t laid for more than two days.

Back
Top Bottom