Good morning ladies - come look at the view!

Things are definitely better this morning. Big East-facing windows meant they were up bright and early and seem happy in the Palace coop. I went and had my breakfast sitting in with them and Elizabeth even laid an egg in a nest box while I was there. Watching her made me realize I need to tweak the nest box set-up a bit but not a big deal. Hope tonight is a bit less stressful. I plan to sit in the coop and put them on the roost again if necessary. View attachment 2037620

Wow... that’s a full-on house! :loveDefinitely a palace, they should be very secure in there. Is there still ventilation when all the windows are shut?

Thank you! I have had an absolute gut-full of today! :he :hit I have not stopped; doing a heap of chores, getting quarantine ready and tending to a sick chook... I have no fuse left and there’s still two more things I have to do before I can sleep. I’m so worried about Chickie; she perked up after I gave her 6mls of baby food, had a dirt bath, a good scratch in the garden, but wasn’t really eating and would snooze a lot. I gave her 12mls right on bedtime, I’m hoping she’ll absorb the vitamins overnight and feel a bit better in the morning. I’m not going to be around to look after her over the weekend, I’m really not sure if she’ll survive this!:hit
You can only do what you can LozzyR and it sounds like you're doing the right things. The whole sick chicken business is so frustrating. Apart from mixed advice, if things get complicated it's often difficult to find a decent avian vet.
If I didn't get so upset I would have liked to have been an avian vet.
:hugs

Good morning ladies - come look at the view!

Things are definitely better this morning. Big East-facing windows meant they were up bright and early and seem happy in the Palace coop. I went and had my breakfast sitting in with them and Elizabeth even laid an egg in a nest box while I was there. Watching her made me realize I need to tweak the nest box set-up a bit but not a big deal. Hope tonight is a bit less stressful. I plan to sit in the coop and put them on the roost again if necessary. View attachment 2037620
It looks very grand and very big!

Wow... that’s a full-on house! :loveDefinitely a palace, they should be very secure in there. Is there still ventilation when all the windows are shut?
Oh yes! Maybe too much ventilation - I had to install baffles to keep it from being too windy. Both gable ends are wide open (with hardware cloth) and there is a roof ridge vent, the soffits are also completely open and the top of the South facing wall is also open. Will show ventilation in the tour!

You can only do what you can LozzyR and it sounds like you're doing the right things. The whole sick chicken business is so frustrating. Apart from mixed advice, if things get complicated it's often difficult to find a decent avian vet.
If I didn't get so upset I would have liked to have been an avian vet.
:hugs

I didn’t realise how fragile they could be, the high-production breeds especially. Dr Nikki has been great in all the care she has given, I asked her once how she doesn’t get so upset having to put so many sick animals down. She said she thinks of it as a gift she can give to end their suffering. We saw her once, right after she had put a dog down and I asked if she was ok. I don’t think I could cope with being a vet.

Oh yes! Maybe too much ventilation - I had to install baffles to keep it from being too windy. Both gable ends are wide open (with hardware cloth) and there is a roof ridge vent, the soffits are also completely open and the top of the South facing wall is also open. Will show ventilation in the tour!

It sounds wonderful! :love I can’t wait to see the video tour!

Back
Top Bottom