:love
I can't help but comment that your chickens look more like the chickens here than most I see on BYC. You have a few breeds there and they all have definition rather than being large fluff balls. But, as I understand it you don't free range (?)
Good looking flock btw.

Thank you for the kind words, Shadrach.

For the past year I have not free ranged. I now have new neighbors and I have started to let them out more, but it's still only an hour or 2 before sunset that they are allowed out. They get fed once a day with kitchen leftovers as they come. Sunday is usually fridge clean out day and they get all the acceptable leftovers.

I have a question for those with hard moulters; do your girls look like they have a pendulous crop when they’re moulting? Charlie looks like she has a pendulous crop but it’s hard to tell as she looks like she’s got feathers sticking up all over the place. I don’t want to touch her as she’s still got pin feathers coming through, is there anything I should be doing or observing? I had a quick look on the ER threads.
Aurora had one last night. It looked like she 1 cup of one of those Madonna pionted bras on the front of her. Yikes! :eek:

Seriously, I have never noticed any change in crop size while my girls are molting. It could just be feathers about to fall out. I have noticed odd puffiness right before groups of feathers have come out.

I haven’t caught up yet but thought I’d share something fun that happened this AM. I was outside with my 13 year old sitting watching our girls. I picked up Luna to give her belly scratches (my girl- she runs to me and follows me)
And all of a sudden Heizel was beside her. Luna was not impressed. She was trying to push her off. I didn’t let her because that was a 1st for Heizel. Luna got down and Heizel snuggled up. 💕View attachment 2163393View attachment 2163394
That is the best. Thanks for sharing it with us all. Very pretty girls as well.

Meet the Moochers

Certain hens in my flock recognized when opportunity presented itself last night and sweet clucked someone new into providing some human snacks for them. I wonder who it was?

20200526_231841.jpg

Two of them would not leave, until they scared themselves off course!

That is the best. Thanks for sharing it with us all. Very pretty girls as well.
Thank you. We LOVE our girls. Heizel got her name (1st part) from HeiHei on Moana. She has not been the brightest of the girls and I thought for sure we’d find her one morning dead from doing something dumb. 🤣 She fell asleep in the waterer - TWICE as a tiny. Then fell into the round feeder and got stuck.
Giving all the girls some scrambled eggs - she ran OVER my hand holding a huge pile of them to get some from another tiny and ran headfirst into the feeder. Not the brightest... we called her Sunshine for a while until we remembered HeiHei and renamed her Heizel. It fits.
Now- this crazy bird, that I love dearly, seems to be the queen of the coop. Go Heizel!

Thank you. We LOVE our girls. Heizel got her name (1st part) from HeiHei on Moana. She has not been the brightest of the girls and I thought for sure we’d find her one morning dead from doing something dumb. 🤣 She fell asleep in the waterer - TWICE as a tiny. Then fell into the round feeder and got stuck.
Giving all the girls some scrambled eggs - she ran OVER my hand holding a huge pile of them to get some from another tiny and ran headfirst into the feeder. Not the brightest... we called her Sunshine for a while until we remembered HeiHei and renamed her Heizel. It fits.
Now- this crazy bird, that I love dearly, seems to be the queen of the coop. Go Heizel!
I love that name. It really suits her.

Meet the Moochers

Certain hens in my flock recognized when opportunity presented itself last night and sweet clucked someone new into providing some human snacks for them. I wonder who it was?

View attachment 2163431

Two of them would not leave, until they scared themselves off course!

They are such lovely girls! I only wish I had had more time with Phyllis, she decided it was bedtime once we got there.

I did snap these 2 beauties!!
20200526_203511.jpg

You can clearly see she's a bit lopsided in the food boob area!!! :lau

20200526_203516.jpg

Miss Hattie is such a lovely soft color, pictures really don't do her justice!!

Love that Bridge. She is a real sweetie!
She really is, Bob. When I look at Sydney, of course it makes me think of her. Our very first four chicks… Each one of us four humans was assigned to a chick. Bridge was mine. And only Bridge remains from that original four. It’s a tough gig… Raising hatchery stock when you’re a new chicken mom. lots to learn with poor genetics involved, as well. Really hoping, being a heritage breed, hatchery or not, maybe Bridge has some decent genetics.

Last edited:
Bridge is just gorgeous (as are all your ladies), but she is particularly lovely

Bridge is just gorgeous! So are all your ladies, but she is particularly lovely.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you so much! I agree she’s beautiful. The back of her comb got torn off by some sort of incident… Maybe with the chicken wire before I had hardware cloth? And one of her nares has a little bit of a gash in it. But I agree, she’s very beautiful! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom