A Party Without Me

While I was slaving away at my desk yesterday apparently Mrs BY Bob was having an invitation only party in the rest of the house. There was only 1 invitee apparently.

Phyllis

She has achieved what both Maleficent and Aurora never could, full access to the big coop.

I got this text while working.

20200529_183023.jpg

Apparently their were snacks, movies (apparently Phyllis is a Star Trek fan), and good conversation.

And I was not invited! 😥

It is clear that I have lost all control of the situation. She is back in the big coop this morning! 😲

Day 18: My Cutie has a Mean Streak

Sydney came off the nest about 40 minutes later today. It is cooler out today after the storms last night. I wonder if that had anything to do with it? Any thoughts on that @Shadrach or others?

She came running out as usual, took a big drink and started scratching for food. Phyllis came over as she did yesterday but her posture was much different. Phyllis extended her neck very high.......now sometimes she does this to see something but her posture was wrong for that.......Phyllis maneuvered herself directly in front of Sydney......... this is when Sydney first took note.........and then Phyllis attacked.

While Sydney was not quite ready, she did not back down. A rumble ensued and the end result was Sydney standing on Phyllis.

Never one to let an opportunity go uncapitalized, that is when Lilly struck at Sydney's back from behind. There was a flutter of wings and everyone separated.

I had hoped things were decided but Phyllis was not deterred.

Sydney went to dust bathe and Phyllis went over towards her. I started the camera to catch what was going to happen next. Pecking order fights are never easy to watch but I think you will find this interesting. Watch for Lilly again, right at the end.

Lilly's last attack resulted in this.
20200530_093943.jpg

Forgotten & Forgiven

And just as quickly as it happened, apparently it was forgiven. Phyllis returned later and they hung out together for over 20 minutes. No signs of aggression from either party.

Amazing animals.

20200530_094816.jpg

Day 18: My Cutie has a Mean Streak

Sydney came off the nest about 40 minutes later today. It is cooler out today after the storms last night. I wonder if that had anything to do with it? Any thoughts on that @Shadrach or others?

She came running out as usual, took a big drink and started scratching for food. Phyllis came over as she did yesterday but her posture was much different. Phyllis extended her neck very high.......now sometimes she does this to see something but her posture was wrong for that.......Phyllis maneuvered herself directly in front of Sydney......... this is when Sydney first took note.........and then Phyllis attacked.

While Sydney was not quite ready, she did not back down. A rumble ensued and the end result was Sydney standing on Phyllis.

Never one to let an opportunity go uncapitalized, that is when Lilly struck at Sydney's back from behind. There was a flutter of wings and everyone separated.

I had hoped things were decided but Phyllis was not deterred.

Sydney went to dust bathe and Phyllis went over towards her. I started the camera to catch what was going to happen next. Pecking order fights are never easy to watch but I think you will find this interesting. Watch for Lilly again, right at the end.

Lilly's last attack resulted in this.
View attachment 2167972

Forgotten & Forgiven

And just as quickly as it happened, apparently it was forgiven. Phyllis returned later and they hung out together for over 20 minutes. No signs of aggression from either party.

Amazing animals.

View attachment 2167985
I wonder why they feel the need to attack her :confused:... as I’ve said... NOBODY messes with my broodies... mine seem to go after everyone else when they come off the nest!

I wonder why they feel the need to attack her :confused:... as I’ve said... NOBODY messes with my broodies... mine seem to go after everyone else when they come off the nest!
Shad says the hens higher in the pecking order attack Sydney because they feel she is too junior to be hatching, in their opinion of course. I can only guess that Phyllis chose this time to try and get out of last place. Maybe @Shadrach can provide insights into why Phyllis tried this today. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom