It's all gone wrong.:he
Moon had been sitting in the house nest box. She got a decent examination on the first day and laid an egg that day. I posted a picture on one of these three threads. Absolutely no problem. Egg delivered fast with no sign of discomfort. I had a look at her vent while she was laying the egg. It looked normal.
She's been sitting for three days now. The plan was to put her back in with her tribe this evening. She hasn't been able to defend her nest, her sister Tap throws her out so she can lay, as has Tackle and Mel. Fat Bird just throws her out anyway.
This afternoon she started to look very uncomfortable and was straining as if she wanted to lay an egg. I got her out of the nest box and watched for a while. At first I couldn't see an egg but it looked to me as if she was egg bound. Worse still, above her vent was swollen and looked like what we would call a hemorrhoid. She was definitely egg bound and trying to empty her intestines and lay the egg. All very messy. I got the coconut oil warmed up and with a bit of careful oiling and some manipulation from outside below her vent (you can tip the egg to allow the oil to reach any dry spots like this) she eventually laid the egg.
As I've mentioned, she normally lays dark brown egg. This egg was almost white with brown patches so the paint booth is faulty. Applying the colour to the shell is the last process before the egg is laid. The shell was strong enough to survive dropping onto the concrete floor so calcium wouldn't seem to be the issue.:confused:
The bulge; I'm going to call it a hemorrhoid. looked pretty sore and the top edge where there are follicles was very dry. It's not a prolapse. A prolapse is when sections inside the vent push out. This is something else.
Anyway, once we had got the egg out she looked much more comfortable and went back to the nest. Somehow when getting the eggs arranged underneath her she managed to break one. This is a nightmare. The nest has to be stripped out and cleaned, preferably before the hen gets her underside covered in sticky egg. Once covered in stick egg, more eggs stick to their underside and because as they adjust position any eggs stuck to their underside become fragile wrecking balls and more eggs get broken.
Moon is now in the pet carrier on towels with three eggs to keep her stress levels down. I've cleaned and disinfected the area around her vent and applied some hydro cortisone ointment to the bulge. I'll get some cream for hemorrhoids for her tomorrow.
The thing is, what is a broody hen doing laying an egg after three days of sitting having not laid in the previous two days?
It's good that she was in the house nest and not under a bush. Also that she has you as a chookherd and you are so observant.

I hope she doesn't get any more eggs stuck and is back to normal soon. :hugs

It's all gone wrong.:he
Moon had been sitting in the house nest box. She got a decent examination on the first day and laid an egg that day. I posted a picture on one of these three threads. Absolutely no problem. Egg delivered fast with no sign of discomfort. I had a look at her vent while she was laying the egg. It looked normal.
She's been sitting for three days now. The
The chairs in their yard are for the gals 😁... there is also a stool in there and when I go to sit with them I bring a flat board and set it on top of the stool... I like to sit on a stool because then I am closer to the ground and they can all come around me... I also have it next to one of the chairs and that way some can hop up on the arms of the chair so they can get close to my face... it’s what they seem to like to do :confused:.... speaking of that.. here are some pics from today... oh, and I will pat on the chair with my hand.. like you would pat the couch to call the dog up... and call different ones up and they will hop right up.. I love how it’s like they are listening to me..like a puppy :loveView attachment 2174078View attachment 2174079View attachment 2174080View attachment 2174081View attachment 2174083And I’m happy to announce that the broody streak is over! Here is Sunny and Rosemary!!:celebrateView attachment 2174084View attachment 2174085View attachment 2174087View attachment 2174092
Those are some beautiful hens. I love the close ups! Hi girls! :frow

Thank you @BY Bob and @MaryJanet - you both seem to have come to the same solution. My seat has slats too but I think my chickens have 'monster poop' - way too big to fall through the slats! My solution is a plywood box to cover the top - I painted it a rather aggressive blue. I just pop it off and the seat is clean underneath. Now I can hang out there as often as I want.View attachment 2174118

While I am posting - I got a monster egg this morning. I wonder if it is a double-yolker.View attachment 2174128
Yikes! That is a big one. Someone is sore this morning.

That is very concerning but I think I can provide some comfort. When Maleficent was broody I let her set for almost a week before crating her. She laid an egg in the crate. She had not laid before then as far as I could tell. It can happen. I would obviously keep track of her and how she's doing but it may not be that strange.

I have a stick and a pad for my run chair. I scrape it clean and put the pad down. My chair has holes so the crap drops right through it. 😉
Here is Mal with the egg.
Screenshot_20200602-192919_Chrome.jpg

Wish I would have put "Rocket" in broody jail safe. She didn't return at roll call tonight. I hope nothing happened to her today. My property is very big, with many places to hide and be broody, but without water or food, (God I hate to think) :hit :fl
I hope you find her OK this morning. :hugs :hugs :fl :fl

Back
Top Bottom