Also worth noting that galvanized coatings (zinc carbonate) is pretty insoluble in water - hence safe for waterers etc. BUT, that is less true if the water is acid. So if you use Apple Cider Vinegar in the water the zinc is more likely to dissolve a bit.
You should not use apple cider vinegar in any metal water dispenser, galvanived or not. Only plastic.

I won't point out how micro plastics appear to be ok for chickens. :confused:

While I was waiting for madam Tack to return to her nest, I took a few snaps as one does.
P8144449.JPG
P8144454.JPG
P8144455.JPG
P8144459.JPG
P8144462.JPG
P8144466.JPG
P8144468.JPG
P8144478.JPG

Let's see. Monday the chicks came. Tuesday, Nancy Pearl the White Marans chick had a cut foot, and as soon as I took care of THAT, I found Franny. I already knew Libby was ill by that time, but I had to tend to Fran first, so Fran went in Tuesday. Libby passed Wednesday, and Fran was still inside, she was inside until yesterday, Thursday. Took care of a little pasty butt last night on Peggy Annie, the Buckeye chick, and here we are today.

I was surprised at how she bounced back! Because Tuesday she looked truly awful. I didn't know if she would make it. Wednesday she looked a lot better, but she was weak. She fell off her perch in the night, too, which made me nervous. I had already seen Libby pass, and then Fran fell in the night and my first thought was, "Oh no! Death throes!" But luckily that wasn't happening. She just fell and panicked and flapped around, so I put her back into the box--not her fave, but no falls. LOL

Then Thursday morning she really seemed better, ate well. I brought her outside warily, as Nora had pecked her a bit before for the first time ever when she was ill. But Fran looked at Nora as if to say, "Don't try it," and it was fine.

I’m sorry you lost your lovely Libby. :hugs

Also worth noting that galvanized coatings (zinc carbonate) is pretty insoluble in water - hence safe for waterers etc. BUT, that is less true if the water is acid. So if you use Apple Cider Vinegar in the water the zinc is more likely to dissolve a bit.
Good point.

You should not use apple cider vinegar in any metal water dispenser, galvanived or not. Only plastic.

I won't point out how micro plastics appear to be ok for chickens. :confused:
I've been really pleased with the clay/pottery drinkers here. They are a bit expensive now, around ten Euros for a small one. They are reasonably robust. They handle on top tends to break if mishandled.

I'm so glad she pulled through, poor baby. How long until she came around?
Let's see. Monday the chicks came. Tuesday, Nancy Pearl the White Marans chick had a cut foot, and as soon as I took care of THAT, I found Franny. I already knew Libby was ill by that time, but I had to tend to Fran first, so Fran went in Tuesday. Libby passed Wednesday, and Fran was still inside, she was inside until yesterday, Thursday. Took care of a little pasty butt last night on Peggy Annie, the Buckeye chick, and here we are today.

I was surprised at how she bounced back! Because Tuesday she looked truly awful. I didn't know if she would make it. Wednesday she looked a lot better, but she was weak. She fell off her perch in the night, too, which made me nervous. I had already seen Libby pass, and then Fran fell in the night and my first thought was, "Oh no! Death throes!" But luckily that wasn't happening. She just fell and panicked and flapped around, so I put her back into the box--not her fave, but no falls. LOL

Then Thursday morning she really seemed better, ate well. I brought her outside warily, as Nora had pecked her a bit before for the first time ever when she was ill. But Fran looked at Nora as if to say, "Don't try it," and it was fine.
[/QUOTE]
What was wrong with Libby, @FransGran ?

Back
Top Bottom