I have to say I may have been inspired by your girls... at first I was concentrating on egg colour variety, now I’m considering temperament a bit more... plus the personally! But like @Ribh I’m somewhat takenby the more “independent” personalities (trying time put it in a PC way, thought flighty and crazy may also apply)
There is just something special about the more curious chickens. Others may call them flighty but I find them to be smart. I love the challenge. If you are mixing your flock i also love the stable hens, the Patsy, Hattie and Sydney of the world help to balance out the Daisy and Phyllis and keep the flock balanced. In my opinion.

I have to say I may have been inspired by your girls..
I do have to say as well, Dual Purpose. That is not important to me but for you I can see maybe a second use being important. Hattie has been a very reliable layer. She is not in the 250 eggs a year range though.

I would have been checking on getting in regardless of what the roosting update was... not a lack of trust necessarily, but for my own peace of mind....

I am happy to say after 9 hrs, 3 RV toilet extractions, way too many spiders, and just one vomiting session: I have one jury rigged toilet install with a bunch of random odds and end. I now have a working manual flush gravity toilet!!!! Yes, I need to fill the water manually, but that’s good for water conservation. It’s not leaking, there isn’t any smell, and it’s only 25 years older than I am! Don’t ask how long I massaged the not one, not two, but three wax rings to make this happen....

Done Is better than perfect, and “temporary” solutions oft end up being permanent... but if I need to use the facilities tonight, I won’t have to dig myself a hole. Thank goodness!
I knew somehow you would get it done. Congratulations! That is 2 big days in a row for you. I hope you had a cup of tea (or an adult beverage of your choice) and read something good afterwards. :caf ☕📖

I don't know about naming any one pose, but that series of photos makes me think she is a judge at a flower show inspecting your "mums".

She doesn't look very impressed..... 🤣
She is right. They are not impressive. The early frost really damaged the mums. They are hardy but not immune.

Foggy Start
20201022_082415.jpg

It is a foggy start to the day at Fluffy Butt Acres. They are locked in the complex this morning because Sansa was ill behaved at roosting last night. She has clearly been taking lessons from Lilly because she was all Lilly last night at roosting time.

She went around last night throwing both Sydney and Phyllis off the roost and out of the coop. Not surprisingly none of the other 3 tried to calm her down.

So now they need to spend some time together without green grass. Not that it will change anything but it makes me feel better. 😆

Foggy Start
View attachment 2382711

It is a foggy start to the day at Fluffy Butt Acres. They are locked in the complex this morning because Sansa was ill behaved at roosting last night. She has clearly been taking lessons from Lilly because she was all Lilly last night at roosting time.

She went around last night throwing both Sydney and Phyllis off the roost and out of the coop. Not surprisingly none of the other 3 tried to calm her down.

So now they need to spend some time together without green grass. Not that it will change anything but it makes me feel better. 😆

We get tons of mornings like this and you can't see anything. I've driven to work before in what I like to call "pea soup". It's so thick you can't see at all 😱

Alex, could he be allergic to something in the coop? I was having a few issues when all our gums were flowering. The man & I had sinus & several of the girls were sneezy. One seemed particularly bad but now we don't have so much pollen everyone seems back to normal.

I've noticed this with my own flock. When the pollen count is high they tend to sneeze, especially when bending down to eat or drink. Stanley even lost his crow for a few days.

The farm child here has one... and is going as an assassin for Halloween (couldn’t remember the assassin but “you know those people who kill people” took me 4 guesses to get it ninja?, soldier? Politician?...

1 “missing” out of 128 isn’t awful... but still I could have given better head counts, but they literally missed the “most importantly get Roostie and his 8 brown girls up safe” as they are closest to the tree line and most vulnerable IMO. Good held p is hard to find. I miss our last WWOOFER. Brieuc was great.... his English not so much but he was kind, diligent, and with his help my mom managed last time NP. The 8 year old... less reliable
Everybody makes mistakes. The problem with this lot is they just can't be bothered. They've always got other things to do, usually totally unimportant by anyones standards, rather than do the mundane day to day stuff that is a necessity if you wnat to keep animals.

Everybody makes mistakes. The problem with this lot is they just can't be bothered. They've always got other things to do, usually totally unimportant by anyones standards, rather than do the mundane day to day stuff that is a necessity if you wnat to keep animals.
It is a simple principle of life.

Any living thing for which you are responsible comes before yourself.

That would include your spouse, children, parents, all animals (pets and livestock), plants (house and crops), insects, anything living.

Then comes you. You are last.

It is a basic principle that all human beings need to be taught as young as possible. It was something which Mrs BY Bob had to learn right as we got the chickens. They came before she sat in front of the TV. It was a great lesson.

Back
Top Bottom