Well, Iā€™ve caught up... Itā€™s been a crazy weekend here. Friday was slaughtering then DH picked up two pallets of feed on a quick turn around ferry. (10:20 depart Saturna-12:50, ok more like ā€œ1:15 because itā€™s always lateā€, arrive on main island to pick up feed and race back to the ferry for 2:30 so he can be on the 3:10 departure that gets him home at 4:20) then we had to unload the two pallets and decided for dinner at the pub because it was such a long day and he also had setup for the election from 7-8pm. Had to take the kiddo with as well because her mom was also working the election.

Leads to Saturday DH and childs mom have work at our provincial election 7am-9pm. I was on babysitting duty to give my poor mom a break. And we got hit with winter windstorm #1. Bye bye tarps on chicken tractors, the house, house parts... all chickens made it through ok. But it was a wild night. The trailer was rocking in the wind and I hardly slept.

Today was damage control, I still havenā€™t found everything. $150 worth of empties (beverage cans have deposits here) bagged and waiting to be taken to town, strewn everywhere. My nesting boxes are missing in places (the light plastic ones flew away!) And, to top it off itā€™s cold, bitterly cold. 10 degrees Celsius inside the trailer tonight, I have the heater on full blast and just turned on the oven... trying to take the chill off before Andrew gets home from work at the pub. Heā€™s 1 hr late. This is actually my fault, because I took the jumper cables out of the truck to prevent them from getting damaged while unloading the pallets, then was distracted by the kiddo and getting the truck emptied to get us all to the pub, so they didnā€™t get put back in :( ooops.

I am also very concerned about Roostie and my girls without back feathers... most of the molters have covered up or will be fully feathered very soon, but some are just not even trying to grow pin feathers! It is too darn cold too sudden.
:hugs A few times a year we got a Northwesterly here that just rips through for a couple of hours. The damage isn't usually devestating but its enough. Last time tribe 3's coop got blown over and damaged. Luckily it isn't often cold when that wind blows and it doesn't bring rain either. I drive stakes into the ground and screw the coop legs to the stakes with large screws now.

If you analysed any of these threads I'm pretty sure you wouldn't find anything earthshattering on any of them ~ & speaking for myself, I'm a genius @ derailing my own thread. I'll talk about pretty much anything. Of the threads I follow I think the most interesting is @Kris5902 's just for the novelty value. Your news doesn't have to be anything but what you enjoy because we'll enjoy sharing that with you. MJ has a whole thing going with tea cups & her Saturday breakfasts. šŸ™ƒ I love pretty sunrises/sunsets & lots of people share those on my thread, which is delightful. And anyone of us will enjoy just looking @ pictures of your chickens. We're a little obsessed that way. ;) Don't give up & don't think every post has to be a masterpiece. :hugs

Perfectly said šŸ˜šŸ¤—

I love that your putting it together so other can followšŸ˜ don't give up on it, we will follow your journey šŸ¤—šŸ¤—
I'm a little busy, but I follow your journey too:
broody Beetov-Hen.JPG

Lol. Thanks. I also love looking at pictures of everyoneā€™s chickens! :jumpy
I'm sure nobody would mind if you just post and read what you can. I try and cover 4 threads and that's about my limit.
I would like to follow Kris's thread for example but I just couldn't contribute on a regular basis. Then of course there is how much time one wishes to spend in front of the computer. At the moment I have a bit more time than usual because I'm not doing much woodwork because I've got carpel tunnel syndrome back in my left hand. Going to get it fixed next month and if it's anything like last time I'll be good for another few years. I'm still doing a bit of woodwork but taking it very slow; probably good for me.:D

I'm sure nobody would mind if you just post and read what you can. I try and cover 4 threads and that's about my limit.
I would like to follow Kris's thread for example but I just couldn't contribute on a regular basis. Then of course there is how much time one wishes to spend in front of the computer. At the moment I have a bit more time than usual because I'm not doing much woodwork because I've got carpel tunnel syndrome back in my left hand. Going to get it fixed next month and if it's anything like last time I'll be good for another few years. I'm still doing a bit of woodwork but taking it very slow; probably good for me.:D
Read & like a lot but rarely comment, as I can really only manage 2~3 threads & my own, is my rule but I think you would love @Kris5902 's thread. She is the only one of us with a set up similar to yours in many ways plus the complication of not having total control over the farm policies.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/katā€™s-journey-into-chicken-keeping.1411220/
Katā€™s Journey Into Chicken Keeping.
I like having it as a journal of my progress. I put pictures there and tell antidotes. So I can look back. :jumpy:celebrate
I like your thread. It is on my rotation. Consider this. Yours is always on the first page so it is as busy as most all threads on here.

As far as keeping up, some days are worse than others. There are a lot of active people here sharing about their chickens. That's good. If you ever feel like you are falling behind skip to where we are talking. You can always use the reference link to flip back to a previous post to catch up on something. This should not be a chore. It should be fun.

Back
Top Bottom