Had a bad few days. The Park has been shut due to Covid. I would have thought it one of the last places one is likely to catch it.:confused:
Anyway, the result has been people have been parking up on the edge of the park and walking in......with their dogs! Yesterday I intecepted 7 dogs off leads. two in the donkey field and one found right outside my house!!!
We are on the edge of the park and there is a track that leads from the main road up here. Today (I think some of the farmers threatened to start shooting the dogs) the police shut the track and it's been quiet. Tribe 1 and 2 have spent a fair bit of the day close to my house. This is Tribe 1, minus Treacle who is in the house having supper.
Tribe 3 have been eating breakfast and then heading straight for the bamboo. Because of where their best shelter spot is, they get tend to have to deal with the dogs first. They haven't come out of the bamboo today apart from when I'm there.
View attachment 2387426
That's no good for the chooks or the dogs. :mad:

Do people think that your property is part of the park?

Would "Private Property. No trespassing" signs help?

Or maybe just "Livestock in area. All Dogs must be kept on leash. Unleashed dogs will be shot" signs! :rant

I'm tired of dog owners. We don't have predators as such ~ just roaming dogs. It's not just my chickens. It's my cats, the beehives, the wild life on our property. Dogs don't leave any of it alone. :(
I don't understand people letting their dogs roam free (apart from off lead areas, but that is under supervision).

Do these people not have fences? I'd worry about my dogs getting hit by a car. Maybe not a worry on your island Ribh, but it is still very inconsiderate.

Well, I’ve caught up... It’s been a crazy weekend here. Friday was slaughtering then DH picked up two pallets of feed on a quick turn around ferry. (10:20 depart Saturna-12:50, ok more like “1:15 because it’s always late”, arrive on main island to pick up feed and race back to the ferry for 2:30 so he can be on the 3:10 departure that gets him home at 4:20) then we had to unload the two pallets and decided for dinner at the pub because it was such a long day and he also had setup for the election from 7-8pm. Had to take the kiddo with as well because her mom was also working the election.

Leads to Saturday DH and childs mom have work at our provincial election 7am-9pm. I was on babysitting duty to give my poor mom a break. And we got hit with winter windstorm #1. Bye bye tarps on chicken tractors, the house, house parts... all chickens made it through ok. But it was a wild night. The trailer was rocking in the wind and I hardly slept.

Today was damage control, I still haven’t found everything. $150 worth of empties (beverage cans have deposits here) bagged and waiting to be taken to town, strewn everywhere. My nesting boxes are missing in places (the light plastic ones flew away!) And, to top it off it’s cold, bitterly cold. 10 degrees Celsius inside the trailer tonight, I have the heater on full blast and just turned on the oven... trying to take the chill off before Andrew gets home from work at the pub. He’s 1 hr late. This is actually my fault, because I took the jumper cables out of the truck to prevent them from getting damaged while unloading the pallets, then was distracted by the kiddo and getting the truck emptied to get us all to the pub, so they didn’t get put back in :( ooops.

I am also very concerned about Roostie and my girls without back feathers... most of the molters have covered up or will be fully feathered very soon, but some are just not even trying to grow pin feathers! It is too darn cold too sudden.
Wow, That was some full on weather you had there. Well done on keeping it (mostly) together.

I hope your recycling cans were all blown together in a corner for you to collect easily.

You are one tough cookie Kris. :thumbsup

I expect you'll be very happy to finally get into the house ( I know I'll feel better for you ). Even at lock up stage it may be better shelter than your trailer in the short term.

The usual suspects.

IMG20201027133435.jpg

Back
Top Bottom