Well, I AM a scientist and would still feel uneasy cutting my own beloved pet open. I am a total left/right brain mix. Besides, some findings were not evident upon gross necropsy, but were found upon microscopy. I am very fortunate to be able to send mine to the University of California at Davis for a small fee.
That lab, is just another town away from me. I took a bird there once.

Observations

I have been reading and hanging with the girls all day. I have notice 2 new behaviors and I'm not sure what to make of them completely. They involve Aurora and Phyllis individually

Phyllis has started to tidbit for the flock. I'm not certain what it is she finds but she called everyone at least 4 times this morning. Is she trying to make friends? I've seen both Hattie and Lilly respond to her tidbitting.

Now for Aurora. We had a strange moment today where after having laid her egg, Aurora walked over to where I was sitting, made some vocalizations, and nest built while standing next to my chair and looking at me after she placed each leaf on her back. I have no idea what this might mean.

What does everyone think?
Maybe she is taking on the role of “mother hen”.

ooh, reminds me of child birth 😖

And they do it almost every day poor things!
Incredible when one thinks about it. I don't think the process is without some discomfort either judging by the noises some of them make. There is a particular point, I think it's when the egg reaches the egg leaves the Isthmus and travels to the uterus that makes them close their eyes as they do when they are in pain. Very difficult to tell exactly where the point is. There is a right angled bend above the uterus that a fully formed egg minus the shell has to navigate. I think it may be there.

Back
Top Bottom