I want to recommend a chicken book to you all. I'm posting it here because most from the three threads read this one.
It's a hard back so that in itself makes it a nice object to own. It's the best all round chicken book I've come accross. It's not about how to keep chickens; it's about chickens.
The book is very well presented and contains bits of knowledge about chickens I've not found in many other publications.
I suspect if one wanted a greater depth of knowledge one would need to read studies and papers which is fine, but often difficult to access.
View attachment 2425147

Is this the same book? If so, I found it on The Book Depository website.

67D5430A-6DF2-4BC9-BA38-C7218446DBD1.png

Wow that is scary. I have lots of hawks but they don't come anywhere near if I am around. My big issue is the foxes who are very bold and appear from nowhere (which is odd as they are bright red so you would think they would be easy to spot as they approach!)
Those fox are sly though. 😉

I need to put this on the tv and advance frame by frame. I can't tell on my phone
Yes, I enlarged to full screen and then it's visible, mostly about 2/3 through. I think they basically jab their tongue out. It must catch things on the hairy edges, which with liquid would draw it in towards the center and then they throw it back into their throat? I wonder if there's any studies explaining how chicken tongues work. As I understand them it doesn't seem to be like a cat's (catching it on the entire rough surface) or a dog's (cupping it with the curled tongue).

See, it is possible @WhoDatChick! There was also a cow attack in Canada and a Goshawk attack in Spain, an epic battle against rodents... I’m sure I’m missing some other highlights...
Yes, Kris it was a perfect storm of events, one bad thing after another! In a way it was hard to keep reading, chickens & chickeneers having a hard stretch. There was blood! Guts! (mouse guts).

Mel getting punctured and I can't believe she even survived it given the crush/grip strength of hawks talons. But having an incredible doctor to tend to her and a tribe that rallies for her is great to read about!

Poor Aurora tripping and now a bit lame, I watched the video again and for some reason that part, around 40 seconds in, is the hardest part for me to see, even if she was being mean before. It's hard to see anyone get beaten down.

And Foxes waaaaayyy toooooo close!

Sorry but I have to say I did enjoy your cow attack story and pictures :oops:. Maybe because you escaped and no blood was shed? The cows were beautiful and just chewing on yummy stuff, which were your stairs, but that's what they do if they get the chance. They know where the good stuff is! Thanks for telling it.

Back
Top Bottom