But, as it seems, I’m wearing a 7 lb brown leghorn hat with attitude!
Alex, one of the things that has helped me to be able to move on after tough losses is the new members that I add to my flock.

If Dolly had not passed, I would have never met Elphie
If Trisha had not passed, the greatest hen ever, Daisy, would never have been my friend.
If Elphie had not passed, I would never have met Patsy and Lilly
If Daisy had not passed, I would never have met Hattie
If Maleficent and Patsy had not passed, I would never have met Sydney, Sansa, or my little diva Phyllis.

I will never forget those wonderful friends which have left me. I frequently take a moment and remember them, even sharing that here. There is nothing wrong with that. It is all also good to make new friends from time to time as well.

I think it might help you to apply yourself to finding some new flock members. You mentioned that you are having trouble locating any but have you considered the "classifieds" here on BYC. For example here are some ladies in Northern California that need a new home.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-to-re-home-my-3-chickens.1431406/

Thank you...it's a great place for them, they can really spread their wings out here! I currently have 22, 16 hens and 6 roosters! We are going to be thinning out the roosters, 6 is too many!

Here's a video of them spreading their wings for a treat...because running just isn't fast enough! :love
Oh goodness, that’s cute!

I remembered my other four, and I have my Beethoven-Hen in with me tonight. She seems to want some daddy and me time. I agreed. Actually, couldn’t resist. Big beautiful brown leghorn feathered friend. Re teaching me that I still need to “love the one you are with” yes I love Beethoven-Hen too
This is great to hear, Alex.

Birds of a Feather?

So I’ve been feeling a little bad for Bridge without her besties, even though it’s been well over a year. I’ve noticed she tolerates Ester, a Barred Rock junior hen, better than most of the flock. Coincidence that they are the same breed? She was even allowing Ester up on the top roost with her, but I screwed that up when I redid the roosts and now Cashew is up top with her. On that same note, I added one more roost in the main/lower coop, and it is getting used!

Birds of a Feather?

So I’ve been feeling a little bad for Bridge without her besties, even though it’s been well over a year. I’ve noticed she tolerates Ester, a Barred Rock junior hen, better than most of the flock. Coincidence that they are the same breed? She was even allowing Ester up on the top roost with her, but I screwed that up when I redid the roosts and now Cashew is up top with her. On that same note, I added one more roost in the main/lower coop, and it is getting used!
I think they will associate more with others of the same bread. I wish my flock had more pairs at times. I will be trying to rectify that as opportunities present themselves.

Back
Top Bottom