Meanie. Buttercup was standing guard at the door, but seems to be going through round 3 of molt and has backed off a little.
Aurora is in full molt. Same time as last year as well. I went and checked because it is very late. Molting or not the only thing that shows down Aurora's meanness is losing a fight.

I copied your breakfast bar idea. They love it!

Glad to contribute to the ideas pool!

I realize looking at your breakfast bar I copied it on too small a scale. I have two logs but each only about 2’ long. I chose them because they had good crevices. I need to look for something more ambitious!

Crevices are good. It makes them work for their meal. Keeps their minds sharp and their beaks blunt!

My breakfast bar is about 4 1/2 or 5 feet long.

I really need something for their treat/supper. Now, they eat it off the ground but because I feed them close to the coop, the ground in that area gets pooped on a lot. This isn''t good for discouraging worms.
I would warn you Shad, I had the same thought but they jump up on the breakfast bar and poop on their dining table anyway. I think it is less than on the ground but not exactly clean. Only the hanging feeder is clean and they definitely prefer the breakfast bar!
Yes, I find the occasional poop on the breakfast bar. I usually hose it off when I change their water.

Now who was it in these threads that had that chicken picnic table? 🤔

1606902655577.png

Yup I was going to say I found out dry ice is what the pros use when one can't use a smoke bomb for fear of incinerating something. Plug it up all around and throw that in there - as long as they're in there - and yes, I can't believe there's only one - and it will do the trick. Make sure there's no chickens around. What about decomposing dead rats though? I didn't find anything about what to do AFTER they're all dead! I picture a little pile. That could stink.
Well, they are already underground so I suppose one could just back fill the holes.

Introducing the current residents of Fluffy Butt Acres

As you can see from the front of the coop, we currently have 4 residents. Patsy, Lilly, Hattie & Jabber.
View attachment 1633815

Patsy & Lilly have been here the longest and we ar enot really certain what kind of birds they are but they are likely Black Sex Links. Hattie and Jabber have just joined the flock this summer as they were chicks we got back in April. Here are their individual photos.

Patsy
She is our alpha hen and is extremely friendly. While not a big fan of being picked up she comes right up to you and will talk and visit.
View attachment 1633817

Lilly is currently #2 in the pecking order and intends to stay there. She has become our little enforcer and she defends the flock from such terrors as squirrels, rabbits, doves, and most importantly, ducks.
View attachment 1633823

More to come on our newbies.
I love this so much, and the fluffy butt acres name too!

Back
Top Bottom