How is Ester doing? Is her molt finishing up? Are you still feeding her?
Thanks for asking, Bob. Ester is doing GREAT. However, she is still inside for heat and feedings. She's feathering in nicely, but her feathers aren't long enough yet to form that thermal layer. She is eating a few things now, but is not drinking much, if at all and her comb is still a bit flopped. Saturday she looked a bit hypothermic (doing that weird squat walk) when having an outside excursion. Sunday was a bit warmer. She also had a little time outside, but when the flock would not let her dustbathe, she walked right up to me and asked to go back in (by looking me in the eye and squatting at my feet.)

Once she is eating, drinking and warming herself on her own, I will transition her back outside. I tried dropping the temp inside the last couple days, but came home to find her with cold feet and comb. She is definitely perkier when she is hydrated and warm. I had hoped not to have her separated for very long, but she is a low-ranked hen and thin to begin with, which is why I think she has taken this molt so hard. The power (and internet) will be out at work tomorrow, so I think I'll be working from home. If it's warm out, I might try letting her have a visit outside for a bit.

She has gained almost 10% of her body weight since I’ve been tubing her.

Here she is outside on Saturday:
(Too funny... on my end, the still shot of the video is Ester evacuating a liquid poop).

And here she is inside yesterday:

Last edited:
Alrighty. I have hit page 400 in this thread but being so focussed on catching up (and there is still a lot to go) I feel I am missing out on interacting with the ‘now’ thread and what you guys are sharing so I will try to switch between.
Apologies I keep posting replies to things from a year or so ago! I know it can throw the flow of the thread off but things I have come across in my early @BY Bob thread trawl have resonated with my current situation so I felt compelled to comment/ ask questions etc.
I already feel I have learnt a lot by starting at the beginning (page 1) on here, my flock dynamic with the new pullets being one of them, so thank you to all you guys for posting such informative and unique observations in here.
I know I am new to all of the threads but I want to say a big thank you again to @MaryJanet for inviting me to join her flock thread when I joined BYC recently, which has now led me to here also ☺ and thank you to @BY Bob for letting me join his flock and read about the happenings on Fluffy Butt Acres 😊
I realised just now that I never asked if I could join in. MJ asked me into hers and then I kinda just smashed my way in here and I apologise for such an impolite entrance and etiquette.

Anyway, to show my appreciation I took the first fluffy butt shot of Snow ever today (she’s 11ish weeks) even though her tail is covering it a bit but I think I have discovered that she is last in the order and my Belle (Babybel) is perhaps second even though she is smaller and very ADHD (plus being cheeky and so cute)
I started a very dedicated reading of the thread 2 weeks ago (most people aren't that crazy nor have the time) and felt the same way :love

It is very real. :hugs :hugs
Yes. There are only 14 of us in this office and a colleague’s family member died last spring. A friend is going through treatment for brain cancer and is therefore immunocompromised. Everyone around us has (finally) gotten serious with masking and social distancing.

Great news this morning, Hot off the "coop press" . . . . . . Rocks-Anne laid her first egg (In two months) and is broody, I went out to bring Jaffar back to the coop, counted the hens and, one, two, BLU, and where is Rocks-Anne? slight panic struck me, only to find her in a nesting box setting her single egg. :ya:celebrate (Jaffar's leg seems better today, btw.)more :celebrate:love:yesss:
I am so excited to hear that Jaffar is doing well. :wee :woot:thumbsup

I assume you will let Rocks-Anne hatch and add to your flock. Perhaps even get her some more eggs?

Thanks for asking, Bob. Ester is doing GREAT. However, she is still inside for heat and feedings. She's feathering in nicely, but her feathers aren't long enough yet to form that thermal layer. She is eating a few things now, but is not drinking much, if at all and her comb is still a bit flopped. Saturday she looked a bit hypothermic (doing that weird squat walk) when having an outside excursion. Sunday was a bit warmer. She also had a little time outside, but when the flock would not let her dustbathe, she walked right up to me and asked to go back in (by looking me in the eye and squatting at my feet.)

Once she is eating, drinking and warming herself on her own, I will transition her back outside. I tried dropping the temp inside the last couple days, but came home to find her with cold feet and comb. She is definitely perkier when she is hydrated and warm. I had hoped not to have her separated for very long, but she is a low-ranked hen and thin to begin with, which is why I think she has taken this molt so hard. The power (and internet) will be out at work tomorrow, so I think I'll be working from home. If it's warm out, I might try letting her have a visit outside for a bit.

She has gained almost 10% of her body weight since I’ve been tubing her.

Here she is outside on Saturday:
(Too funny... on my end, the still shot of the video is Ester evacuating a liquid poop).

And here she is inside yesterday:
That first video is a classic. Don't lose it. Chickens do this all day long and you rarely see pictures of it. Okay, it's not usually quite so explosive or liquid but none the less.

Chicken tax
8C7E4AA6-9966-4FCD-A9CA-47CB209E345C.jpeg

Cillin is sick. He had a mild case of bumble foot a few months ago which Gloria treated. He's got another one now and it's infected. His pad is terribly swollen.
He's at the vets 6.30pm tomorrow.
It's amjor problem if he's sick. He ran away from Treacle this evening. Yesterday Treacle didn't challenge him. I think Gloria will have to operate and that means Cillin will have to be confined for a while and Treacle will be the boss. When Cillin returns there will be problems. Not at all happy about this.
Cillin has been as good as gold. I managed to get him out of the bamboo. It took a while. He's in with me for the night and has put up with lots of handling and inspections.:love
I know I post a lot of pictures of Treacle but Cillin has a place very deep in my heart.
P1130066.JPG
P1130067.JPG

These brought back memories. 🤗 The Rowany photos look a lot like mine. I even recognize a face or two! That fourth pic is of the Little Rock War isn't it?😄

Loved your garb. Beautiful gowns especially. I hope I have a nice one of hubby in his pink silk Cavalier out fit somewhere...

I wondered if you might recognise anyone! I honestly don’t remember if the fourth pic is the Little Rock War but it sounds familiar.

Would definitely love to see hubby in his pink Cavalier silks! :D

Back
Top Bottom