Hopefully someone who knows more can weigh in. In my experience there is a limit to how long you can work on them before it becomes diminishing returns and they start to stress. Probably nothing more than that and the scent of the glue.
Thanks, that is entirely likely, especially since it was a warm(er) day too. Got a good bare eyes look at her this morning, and the beak end has a small curved notch, without the visible crack going back. So far.
Gaah I'm like 50 pages back, am trying to catch back up!

Is that the new roost there on the right above the window? Anybody use it yet? Going to give a pre-SHRA here, what do people do - write down the page they wanted to ask about? The multi-quote preview doesn't show much of the post to always tell....

Moral Conundrum

It is cold and windy here today. The wind chill is 14 degrees F (-10 C). However the sun is shining. ☀

If the ladies stay in their complex today it will be much warmer for them as the wind is blocked and the shower curtains will create a greenhouse for them. They will be active. If I let them out to free range, they will surely run out and hunker down with the apple trees. They will not be active but rather will lay around huddled all day.

I honestly believe that the best thing for them is to not let them out, despite their protestations to the contrary.

My question for all of you is, Is it wrong for me to deny them their own freedom of choice or should I leave them locked in?
I don't think this is a moral dilemma - it is quite clear that you serve them and they have views. I think you have to listen to their views. I just got roundly yelled at for being late to let mine out (similar frigid weather) and I just apologized and committed that it won't happen again!

I fully understand that and hope you have many years before you have to say goodbye to someone.
I can see why chicken math happens, no subtraction necessary, just addition! I am learning so much I don't feel ready for more chickens, but I have loved the whole process of caring for them as day-old chicks to now. So sometimes I fantasize about expansion. Just last week Queenie started doing what sounds like an egg song. The classic chicken-picking "bok-bok-bok buh-cawk!" She was leaving the coop after having laid and egg. Now she's also done it before she goes IN, so I don't know what that's all about. Did it for several minutes. Possibly she was waiting on someone else who is just leaving the nestbox. But I loved hearing it! Just stood there and soaked it all up. Started thinking about what it would be like to have a rooster and have a real Tribe.

I don't think this is a moral dilemma - it is quite clear that you serve them and they have views. I think you have to listen to their views. I just got roundly yelled at for being late to let mine out (similar frigid weather) and I just apologized and committed that it won't happen again!
My roo Jaffar waddled over to me, and yelled at me, this morning too! (He wanted his safflower seeds) He sure can be a pushy little rooster!

I can see why chicken math happens, no subtraction necessary, just addition! I am learning so much I don't feel ready for more chickens, but I have loved the whole process of caring for them as day-old chicks to now. So sometimes I fantasize about expansion. Just last week Queenie started doing what sounds like an egg song. The classic chicken-picking "bok-bok-bok buh-cawk!" She was leaving the coop after having laid and egg. Now she's also done it before she goes IN, so I don't know what that's all about. Did it for several minutes. Possibly she was waiting on someone else who is just leaving the nestbox. But I loved hearing it! Just stood there and soaked it all up. Started thinking about what it would be like to have a rooster and have a real Tribe.
Careful what you wish for. Roos can be a pain in the bum sometimes!:barnie

Chicken math is real I tell you. 2 years ago I still had my solo stray game hen. She was determined that even though she was the only one she was going to go broody on non fertile eggs nonstop. She had a huge barn that she would play find the nest in the loft in, and knew where to hide as some spots it was dangerous to walk on. Broke over and got her some barnyard mix eggs to let her hatch and she hatched out 5 but only 3 made it to adult hood. Fast forward to now, I have 15 chickens and trying to figure out a way to add 3 or 4 more without having to subtract any. As far as Roosters go, if your able to have one i highly recommend at least 1. I love my girls dearly, but I have a special bond with my boy Drumstick, and building up the same bond with his son Bumblebee. If I were to loose one it will hurt, but it would be devastating to loose Drummie. He loves everyone, and thinks any lap is fair game. If it were not for the pandemic he could easily be turned into a therapy chicken.

Chicken math is real I tell you. 2 years ago I still had my solo stray game hen. She was determined that even though she was the only one she was going to go broody on non fertile eggs nonstop. She had a huge barn that she would play find the nest in the loft in, and knew where to hide as some spots it was dangerous to walk on. Broke over and got her some barnyard mix eggs to let her hatch and she hatched out 5 but only 3 made it to adult hood. Fast forward to now, I have 15 chickens and trying to figure out a way to add 3 or 4 more without having to subtract any. As far as Roosters go, if your able to have one i highly recommend at least 1. I love my girls dearly, but I have a special bond with my boy Drumstick, and building up the same bond with his son Bumblebee. If I were to loose one it will hurt, but it would be devastating to loose Drummie. He loves everyone, and thinks any lap is fair game. If it were not for the pandemic he could easily be turned into a therapy chicken.
"Chicken math" You graduated! :ya :D

Back
Top Bottom