Is it Friday? Some fluffy butts eating scrambled egg.
Unbelievably it is going to snow again tonight. During the day it is warm so I imagine it won’t hang around.

B5399348-A747-4BAA-8B60-70323CD237C8.jpeg

Hugs to you in comfort :hugs May I commend you for asking for help before you are totally consumed with caretaking to the exclusion of everything else? I hope you can get enough help to enable you to spend some time with things that really benefit your own health (such as chicken-keeping IMO! 🐔 ). :hugs
Yes..our son and daughter in law moved in..with their little one, just so they could help. They have helped oodles! Having someone to talk to and have understand you is very nice. Son says, have your chickens mom, I'll help you.

OK. I have kept this picture up for awhile, because my first impression at the time was that the bird on top is an American Bald Eagle. I have not wavered from that impression. This is bugging me, sorry @Cynthia12 !

What chicken has eyes like that, and insanely curved, gripping claws made for gripping fish and meat like that? And details - an under-beak area very non-chicken, massive tail feathers, and very long wing feathers - this bird flies. Is this a Giant Air Chicken? :gig:lau

It is a GREAT picture. I didn't see anybody except @Shadrach ask about it, and I was waiting on the answer....if there was an answer I didn't see it, at least not here on @BY Bob 's thread, so please explain this bird, thank you!
Ha..just seeing this..yep..Bald Eagle. I wondered why he would be looking upside down too! Maybe spotted the camera...man? Acting nonchalant. 😅

Hi everyone. So I did end up coming home midday for a couple hours to be available to my daughter. The flock was still freaked out. Also, Ruby is very unwell. She is walking very slowly and gingerly, and spent some time in the box with a pumping tail. She has an emergency avian vet appointment Saturday. I hope she hangs in there tomorrow. That's a long time to wait. Today I administered a calcium (in case she needed help expelling something) and aspirin (for pain and inflammation). However, she seems sore after I do this. Poor thing. Saturday might result in another hormone implant or might result in euthanasia. We'll see. I love me some Ruby and hate to see her suffer.

So tonight after the board meeting, I was surprised to see ELEVEN chickens in the upper coop! However, I admit I did love seeing them all lined up like I see in other people's coop photos. Mine are usually all spread out, even in winter. (But it's California winter, so...)

Anyway, when I went around to make sure the remaining two were in the main/lower coop, I realized I had moved a roost when I was home earlier today to get to Ruby. I never put it back! Poor girls! So the moved roost was laying on top of the corner angled roosts, and without the moved roost, they couldn't reach the latest additional roost. Basically, they were mostly upstairs because that's where there was roosting space.
Good luck to Ruby! 💞

Lucky is 100% back to normal, and happy and healthy.

Roostie is doing well, we still haven’t had a chance to remove any of the pus, but he’s quite active and behaving normally, with almost no indications of pain other than a slight limp.

General update: I've been super busy lately, and am trying hard to get caught up, but I’m probably just going to skip ahead and join in as I can. Sunday and Monday were long cooking days, mutton Stew and Borscht. Monday we had a tragic loss of Borscht (BIL’s vehicle’s rear gate is held closed By duct tape, it failed, and bye bye borscht on the way to the freezer 😢) Tuesday we fixed my truck a bit more, exhaust tweaking/jury rigging and a new air filter and fuel filter. Wednesday we had a long town day, with Arduinna. And we picked up 40 mistral gris meat chicks.

I’m brooding over at my friends farm, where I garden, on the other side of the island. I’ve converted his coop into a brooder and will be basically staging my meat birds there to start and stay under the “limit” of bird numbers. I’ve got one more day of freezer meals to make up this weekend. Lasagna and manicotti.
You have been busy!

Is it Friday? Some fluffy butts eating scrambled egg.
Unbelievably it is going to snow again tonight. During the day it is warm so I imagine it won’t hang around.

View attachment 2545880
Just wonderful Butts. :love

They are predicting a coating to and inch for us overnight, then a high of 53 degrees for Saturday. Rain and 46 degrees for Sunday. It is not going to stay here long.

How much snow coverage do you still have? I have yard popping up everywhere.

Yes..our son and daughter in law moved in..with their little one, just so they could help. They have helped oodles! Having someone to talk to and have understand you is very nice. Son says, have your chickens mom, I'll help you.
That is a good son. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom