Oh I do love them! I meant in that post I wished the quiz came up with Dominiques at least once... Each of the Buckeyes have their own personality for sure...I don't sense a loner in any of them, though these are my first chickens so I don't have others to compare to! But they are bold and exploring, for sure. And yes, they totally dominate poor Big Boy the cat, who is very friendly but has to hang out a good distance away when they're out and about!

Popcorn is the Adventure Girl so far: always the most bold, she has figured out that when I go into the garage/barn, the door is likely left open, and there's tons of things to explore and check on in there. I visited and tended and checked them in the run. Three of them got a bum bath / spa treatment over the last two days - everything is looking good back there now, but Butters had stuck-on poop on a spot in between her toes that she seemed never to get entirely off, and I think it irritated her skin, so after the soak with most of it off I put ichthamol salve on there. It looked better today. Then I left their run door open so they could forage a bit in the small 2x3 ice-free spot in front of it. I went across the drive into the garage barn to do a quick chore.

Popcorn made the 30-foot trek across the slippery ice just to explore the garage barn. She's the only one who makes it her mission to get in there. Today I forgot she might do that, and was bundling cardboard and all to put out for pickup, and heard a nice "bok-bok" greeting as she came in (I couldn't see her), then the loud whack-whack, whack-whack, of her pecking a favorite spot on the metal garage car door. It does make a great sound. She soon came around to see what I was doing too, all chatty, having a great time.

I was done shortly but couldn't get her to leave with me. She turned to go back in, she loves it in there. So I got and shook a can of scratch to lure her out and back to the run. There 'ya go, girl! But the sound of the scratch brought Butters, running and flapping at a completely reckless full-clip across the ice. She slipped, and skid on her backside for the last three feet. I hope she's okay... Everybody else was interested but much more careful about it (and me, I've got crampons on my boots!). We made it back to the run and they all had a great time in a new little pile of dry oak leaves and some scratch on their log. Chickens are pretty cool.
What a wonderful day. Those are the best! I especially love when they are underfoot. 🥰

Had two different breeds that lived close to ten years..well, the speckled sussex lived just over ten. The other was the penciled rock..close to ten. I hatched them, gave them to two different friends. I just posted a photo of the pencil...here is the sussex while I had her, sitting pretty. View attachment 2551684
What a beautiful lady! 😍

This got me interested in looking up tomatoes Lozzy. I didn't find any Green Gages but I found this

View attachment 2551702

TOMATO – Evergreen

(80 seeds)
$3.95

One of the best green tomatoes going around.
Medium-large fruit that stay "evergreen." This heirloom variety is one of the most popular tomatoes grown by market gardeners. The large plants produce heavy yields of beautiful fruit which have a lovely lime-green colour. The flavour is rich and superbly sweet. It's one of the best.
Link
https://seedsofplenty.com.au/product/tomato-evergreen-lycopersicon-esculentum/

Also the diggers club has other heritage breeds.

https://www.diggers.com.au/Search-Results?criteria=tomato&pn=1&filter=ap&stock=&sort=az&pagesize=24
How do you know when to pick them?

Thankfully rain is supposed to be over with, dealing with backwater now. Took a walk a few minutes ago and one of the volunteers of our fire and rescue squad was at my bridge. He told me the water is going to continue to rise until 10 a.m. tomorrow. It looks like another sleepless night for me watching the water level. I really hope I'm not moving horses in the middle of the night. I took the camera with me to get a few pictures, high water has brought a few visitors who earlier made a trip in my yard. My chickens were not happy and Drummie quickly ran them off.
View attachment 2551106
View attachment 2551108
View attachment 2551109
View attachment 2551110
View attachment 2551111
View attachment 2551112
View attachment 2551113
View attachment 2551114

That water is impressive!!

I'd love to see your farm in better days.

Looks just like mine. I don't think it ever froze.
The coconut oil would perhaps mask any visible change in the cloudy look to the cream though? Would the chlorhexidine visibly leach or curdle out? Several items (a big Aspercreme with lidocaine, Kwik Stop styptic powder, Chlor-Well spray, some blunt scissors & this cream) were packed together in a bubble-wrap Amazon bag, so changes would be pretty gradual. It sat in our mailbox overnight and it was probably 7-8F the next morning.

I can imagine that the glycerin could save it....would have to know how fast it could cool down in that situation, and then, even if it got as cold as it could in that time, whether the bottom temp in the cream was low enough to freeze it despite the glycerin. The chlorhexidine spray was solid as a rock (but no glycerin in that, just the surfactant that protected it although it froze?).

Not sure sure “adorable “ is the correct wording, at 02:00 in the am. But they really are cute aren’t they ?
“peep, peep, peep. Daddy we want more food “
Do your babies sleep in a dark place? My chicks got up early but with the natural light, not at 2am! They also had a little feeder they could eat from whenever they want. What is your setup there? My they have grown so much!

Back
Top Bottom