I've missed out on a lot. I've been pretty sick. Started last Thursday. I should have gone in for help sooner. I got pretty dehydrated, couldn't stand up from nearly passing out. Had to call son home from work. My heart was staring to act up too, I have had two heart ablations for irregular heartbeat. My heart said ..fluid..I need fluid! 😁. Two big ol bags did the trick. I was still a bit low, but I needed to get home. My son had gone home to stay with my husband. Boy, having fluid in your body sure does miracles for you. I'm still weak, but getting better. I did this same stomach thing last year, very same. . I see feather had a problem. Man, glad you're doing better! Burns are soooo painful. . Like you don't know! I'm sorry you had to go through that. Hoping it's better every day. Will pray that it will. 💞

Past days chicken tax. In the fall.
FB_IMG_1547854249637.jpg

Lovely story.:love:clap

Hey all.
Bob said I could share this on here. Thanks again for that @BY Bob ☺️
Although my short story didn’t win, it sounds like it was well received which is nice.

View attachment 2615523

So here it is, be kind 😉
The topic was ‘the gift’.
Sorry it makes for a VERY long post!

FAR FROM PALTRY; THE POULTRY GIFT.

A new adventure for us. A new life for sisters that knew nothing but cramped conditions and sadness.
The gift of my feathered ladies.

When we first brought you two girls home we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into, of how you would become part of our inner circle. Our toddler gave you the names Henny Penny and Bok Bok; Penny and Bok for short.
The gift of family.

You were hesitant at first when you were let out of your coop and into our yard to free range. Soon enough you were Queens of the lands you surveyed, never worrying if it was a plant, weed or a new garden bed you happened to be scratching up.
The gift of freedom.

I loved to sit in the sun and watch the two of you dust bath. I would read my book and listen to your bawks, clucks and trills as you relished in the chicken-y things that made your life joyful. The squeaks when you found a particularly tasty bug and wanted the other one to know about it, or when you would get corn and you couldn’t contain your passion for the golden kernels you were swiftly devouring.
The gift of pure happiness.

Of course then there were the beautiful big, brown eggs, so delicious that eating store bought ones now makes me melancholy. They will never be as lovely as what you gave us, my sweet girls.
The gift of perfect sustenance.

When you first free ranged with our terrier you were so unsure, but he was gentle and eventually you found peace with him. You did challenge him on more than one occasion where food was concerned. It was lucky he’s a goof and just barked in response.
The gift of diversity.

I remember it hailing really hard one day in July of ‘19. Our very young daughter and I went out to see you girls exploring in the little ice spheres, deep against the fence of your run. She starting saying ‘Happy Christmas, chickens!’ to you and it made my heart warm even though we were quite chilled.
The gift of nature.

When you tried awkwardly to sit on my lap while I was reading on the outside couch on a warm summer evening;clambering along the edge of the patio furniture, swaying this way and that with your destination always at the forefront of your minds.
The gift of adventure.

I clearly recall when you fell ill, Penny. I did what I could, as much as my narrow knowledge allowed. I soaked you in warm baths, I felt for eggs that may have been stuck, I trimmed your messy feathers so you would still have your fluffy butt hence your dignity. I sobbed when I knew there was no saving you. This impending loss of a companion I never expected to love so much weighed heavily on my heart. You spent your last night back out in the coop with Bok, together until the end.
The gift of sisterly bonds.

Bok became lonely without you. My heart broke when she would call out for you, thinking you had just been separated by backyard obstacles. After a time or two, when you never answered, she stopped trying. She lost her zest for life and began to give a growly crow when coming out to greet each day. I knew I had to do something, Bok.
The gift of compassion.

I was unsure I was taking the right path when I brought home two pullets. You then proceeded to boss them around; letting them know who the top bird was. I saw your enthusiasm return and my heart grew lighter.
The gift of friendship anew.

Now, old friend, your time is fast running out. Each day that passes I see it looming to greet us. I thought I would be more prepared when your chapter closed. I was fooling myself. You sit on my knee, letting me stroke your soft feathers in the sunshine, falling asleep like the old lady that you are. Your body is giving up, maybe I should not be so selfish and hear what you are trying to tell me. Truth be told, I’m just not ready yet.
The gift of contrition.

You began as providers of eggs but became so much more.
At the end of the day, the gift of love is one we gave each other in spades.
This is such a beautiful story and really touched my heart. These little ladies must have been so very happy with you and your family :love

DIY Fecal Floats

This is a draft of what I have decided will be an article. But you all asked first and I wanted to respond and get your thoughts. I have written a lot of laboratory procedures in my career and wanted to be as detailed here for you. I really want your feedback before I post an article. Along with the article I am going to video myself doing a fecal float so that you can see what I am telling you to do. So here is draft #1 complete with links to amazon to purchase the equipment I am referencing.

When I set up last year to do my own fecal floats, this is what I purchased.

Your own fecal floats, the equipment:

My microscope is currently $209.99 but you will need slides and coverslips so I would consider the ~$14 for slides and coverslips. I paid $256 for mine last year. The price has come down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094JTZOU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Simple pipettes to transfer fluids currently $4.99 for 50
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NMBJPCV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

VetLine fecal float solution currently $19.70 for 500 ml (see note below)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T22WYY4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Test tube rack currently $4.50
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XL3VX5V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got beakers because they were $7.99 and I wanted a lab. You could use other glass containers
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F47B8AO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will need test tubes with lids. These are currently $9.99.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L67THGL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So for around $270 (with beakers) you will have the equipment needed to do your own fecal floats.

Note: You can make your own Fecal Float solution using either sugar or salt. The principle is to make a solution in which the eggs and parasites will be lighter and “float” to the top. Here are some recipes if you wish to save a few dollars.

Saturated sugar is prepared by dissolving a pound (454 grams) of sugar in 1 1/2 cups (355 ml) of water, and saturated salt takes a pound (454 grams) of salt in 4 4/5 cups (1140 ml) of water. If there are undissolved granules left in the bottom of the liquid, pour off the saturated liquid into a new container.​

I have considered a power vortexer, you will see why when you do your first one. They are very handy in the lab. There is a cheap version for sale on Amazon for mixing tattoo ink at $35. I haven’t had the guts to try it, the scientific ones run closer to $100.

I use inoculating loops to gather my specimen but you can use a chopstick or if it is liquid enough one of your pipettes to gather specimen. Inoculating loops are $7.99 for 20.
https://www.amazon.com/Scientific-Labwares-Disposable-Inoculating-Polystyrene/dp/B07JJFR7GC/ref=sr_1_30_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=microbiology+loop&qid=1618416453&s=industrial&sr=1-30-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTFIzTkhYN1E2UVpGJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzUxNzA0MVgxNTRFUkk5SEdOJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwMzMyNzMzSjIxOFFTSjRTNEpHJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYnRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

If you want to do an actual count of the eggs present, then you will need a McMaster slide to have a measured chamber. I am not interested in counts, just presence so I have not purchased a counting slide. Besides you have to clean them after each use. I do a rough count utilizing the magnification that I don’t see the need to be cleaning a slide.
https://www.amazon.com/Microscope-Eggzamin-Parasites-Veterinary-Management/dp/B01MY5WRSM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=27TNP92BE0EFW&dchild=1&keywords=mcmaster+egg+counting+slide&qid=1618415994&s=industrial&sprefix=mcmaster,industrial,194&sr=1-1

Fecal Floats: The Procedure

You need to set up your microscope and have a nice work area prepared. Try to work on a glass table or get a rubber matt. I like a rubber or vinyl matt with a little lip so that any potential spill is contained. You don’t want this stuff all over your dining room table.

Make certain you have a trash receptacle handy so you can safely discard pipettes, loops, etc. as you are working so that you do not have to keep getting up and down. I use an old coffee can. (Are they still cans now that they are plastic?)

Labeling is very important in any testing. If you are going to do samples from multiple birds at once be sure to label the specimens and the test tubes appropriately. I use a sharpie to write directly on the test tube (why not you already have everything out). Always label everything before you get started so you don’t have to stop and label risking spillage. Be sure to label your slide as well so you can keep the specimens straight when you move to viewing them under the microscope.

The Float Test

1. Uncap and fill your test tube ¼ way up with float solution. I pour some into a beaker and use a pipette to fill the test tube. Place it in your test tube rack.
  2. Gather some of your fecal sample either by using a loop or chopstick and place it into the test tube.
  3. Agitate the loop or chopstick to dissolve the feces in the solution. It takes a lot of agitation to dissolve it well. If everything is off your loop or chopstick you can recap your test tube and shake it to help everything to dissolve. (This is where a vortexer would be handy)
  4. Once you have your feces dissolved, fill up the test tube to the very top with float solution. You want the meniscus to be extending up slightly above the top of the test tube. This will enable your cover slip to have full contact with the liquid in the test tube.
  5. Place a microscope cover slip over the top. There should be no air between the coverslip and the liquid. (If you are going to us a McMaster’s chamber do not place a cover slip on top.)
  6. Time 20-30 minutes. The more time you give the more things can float up and adhere to the coverslip. [This brings up an important concept. In general, you should be looking for gross infection. If 1 or 2 coccidia wind up being present I want you to think hard about whether you want to treat or not.]
  7. Carefully remove the cover slip and place it on a microscope slide with the sample sandwiched between both pieces of glass. If you are doing a McMaster’s count, draw up the liquid on top of the test tube into a pipette. You will charge the McMaster’s chamber by using capillary action. Slowly dispense the fluid along the edge of the chamber. Capillary action will draw the liquid into the chamber. Once the chamber is full, stop dispensing liquid.
  8. Examine the specimen for worm eggs and coccidia oocysts. Start with your lowest power (should be 40x). You can move up to 100x or even 400x if you see something interesting.
    • The magnification of your microscope is determined by multiplying the power of your eyepiece times the power of your lens. The standard eyepiece of the microscope above is 10x (It does come with 20x eyepieces as well). Using the standard 10x eyepiece with the lowest magnification lens which is 4x gives you 10 x 4 = 40x. The next highest magnification lens is 10x and gives you 10 x 10 = 100x

Calculating Eggs per Slide

If you are not using the McMaster’s chamber to do a count you can use the following to calculate the “eggs per slide”.

Based upon the power of the magnification you are using you can extrapolate the total count per slide without having to count the entire slide.
  • At 40x (low power) 4-8 eggs per view = 100-200 eggs per slide
  • At 100x 1-2 eggs per view = 100-200 eggs per slide
You should count multiple portions of the slide and average your counts out before calculating.

With the McMaster’s chamber, count the contents of all chambers and multiply by 50.

What am I Counting/Looking at?

I am now going to try and explain to you what I spent $12,000 for back in the 80s as they say overseas “at University”. This is the hardest part of the process but you can get there with a good reference chart. I am going to include detailed pictures of the three most common eggs here.

For size comparison here are the primary eggs/oocysts which you will see.

View attachment 2616393

This table gives you a picture of many of the items you may see.
View attachment 2616487View attachment 2616488View attachment 2616488
I am going to now go into detail on some of the common organisms which you will find.

Coccidia

This is the first thing for which most people are looking when they do a fecal float. Coccidiosis is caused by Eimeria species. Some things to remember about Coccidiosis. It is normally most problematic in immunologically naïve chickens or chickens that are stressed or crowded. Additionally, chickens develop protective immunity over time. Most specifically with this parasite, there really should be symptoms in your chicken before you treat even if you see them in the fecal float. You should not just treat for Coccidiosis on the basis of the presence of Eimeria eggs in a fecal float.

Here is an example of a Eimeria oocyst.

View attachment 2616484

Ascarids (round worm)

The presence of any ascarid eggs should result in treatment. These are large roundworms that can eventually fill the intestinal tract of any chicken. Here is an example of Ascarid eggs.

View attachment 2616483

Crop Capillariasis (thread worm)

Crop capillariasis is a frequent cause of respiratory distress in quail and can be found in chickens. Capillaria contorta is a thread-like worm found in the oral cavity, crop, and esophagus of affected chickens. Affected birds may be observed open-mouth breathing and gasping for air. Here is an example of a Capillaria egg.

View attachment 2616485

Tapeworm

It would be very uncommon to see a tapeworm segment on a fecal float but it can happen. If you do see one you will want to treat. Here is an example of a Tapeworm proglottid.

View attachment 2616486

What is not an Egg?

There can be a lot of debris present in a fecal float. The more time you wait, the more debris will sink away from you cover slip. Still, you do not want to confuse the following with eggs or oocysts.

Air Bubble

You should drop your coverslip by placing one side of the coverslip on the slide and then letting it fall like a tree in the forest. This should help limit air bubbles, but you could still get them. This is not an egg.

View attachment 2616489

Pollen and Seeds

You will, depending on the season wind up with pollen and seeds in your specimen. These are not eggs.
View attachment 2616491

Fungal Cells

You can get fungal cells that look a lot like oocysts. They will usually only have one cap, not two. These are not eggs.

View attachment 2616490

Plants

You will most definitely find microscopic plants in your specimens. Look closely at these examples to see what is not an egg.

View attachment 2616492
Excellent Bob! I also wondered if I could do it myself, but that’s quite a bit of set-up.

Back
Top Bottom