Realizing I probably owe everyone an apology bc I just showed up like I was invited a week ago šŸ™ƒ

Sorry all! I tend to make myself at home. :celebrate
Too funny! I've been around for months but I tend to go on extended leaves of absence, only to return and lurk for some time (trying to catch up to some degree), and then I will occasionally poke my head in the window and say a few words or toss in a couple of photos, then I'm back to lurking. :gig

But I do enjoy your contributions, if that means anything. šŸ˜Š

Yes she cough-squeaked three separate times, in a higher pitch than I've heard any of the Buckeyes do. At that time it made no difference to the tooting.

Checked her again just now, she is not doing it like she was, I did hear it a few times but now it's more like part of her general vocalizations and it's not with every breath like it was before.

I put her on my knee briefly and her eyes and nares are clear and clean. She wasn't tooting then either even though gently keeping her on my knee did ramp up her breathing some which should have brought it out.

She made more normal sounds when really upright too, though the tooting was mixed in - I brought out some walnut pieces which got them all excited, she enjoyed those.

I feel relieved for the time being. You're probably right, it's a passing thing or a new part of her voice. Thank you. Will keep an eye on her.
She probably cleared what it was. I'm relieved as I suspect you are even more.

Wow! A lot has been going on today! My best to everyone tending their babies' illnesses. Makes my whining about the snow and not having fun in the sun chicken time today seem minor.
I have a stay-cation next week! Will be able to better keep up on these threads šŸ¤—
You should definitely spend your time off reading here while sitting with you feathered friends. :D

I put a new water bowl out near the garage back door where I sit with them. Belle has gone nuts and drank so much water today that sheā€™s was just pretty much passing water in the afternoon šŸ˜”
She seems fine in all other ways, eating, scratching, running around and finding her way onto our undercover area no matter how many obstacles Iā€™ve put there to keep them out. (Why do chickens love sleeping on doormats so much?! Haha)

Iā€™m thinking of worming tomorrow because they didnā€™t touch the last lot. Took their water out in the late afternoon once they were back in their run just incase. Have also made some sugar syrup up to add to the Kilverm water solution to make it a bit more palatable.

Anything else I should be concerned about with her drinking so much?

Sheā€™s about 25 weeks, not laying yet, and as I said, her other behaviours seem normal.

When it rains it pours!
View attachment 2619148
I'll just mention that Mary has regular check ups at the vet, so I know with certainty that she's healthy, yet she has always had a habit of drinking very little through the day, then tanking up before bed. It takes her roughly 20 minutes to get her late afternoon drinking session done. Sometimes it ends with a regurgitation. I think of her as a bit of a lush, dear old girl.

Thanks haha, might employ a towel in some sort of grab and secure action
I'd get up before dawn and take her off the roost before she's awake. Then I'd weigh her while she's drowsy, put her in a box with no food or water, then give her the treat soaked in kilverm about an hour after she wakes up.

I probably wont be able to get away with this as a FBF.:oops:
Too sweet to not post though. Cillin trying to get Fat Bird to give him a bit of a groom.
View attachment 2620047
Fat Bird was more interested in going for a sit on some eggs.
I'm very curious as to why she has taken so much interest in sitting in her more senior years. It's not like she hasn't had the opportunity in the past.
Maybe she knows that it's something she should have done.
View attachment 2620051
If she really wanted to hatch she could use others eggs. Of course who wants to be a mother hen at 10 years old. Those chicks would definitely wear her out fast! :gig

As you know, Lilly does the same thing. I find it fascinating. What are they thing when they do this?

Back
Top Bottom