I'm probably going to be guilty of SHRA but...if you are using the Kilverm, which seems to be the popular wormer out here, I have found it pretty ineffective. Ask your Vet for something. I don't know the name but my vet gives me pig wormer & it works super well. I'm doing my girls on Tuesday after I pick up the wormer from the vet so I will try & remember to ask what it is. Working with the girls after dark is always easier & Shad recommends putting any medication on bread or any treat they really go for. It works beautifully & it much easier than syringing. I have one girl who won't touch anything that has Baycox in it & I have to syringe her. She is a nightmare to deal with. All the best. :hugs
Could you please share what the active chemical is in what she gives you. Do you need to discard the eggs?

I awoke so early that I needed a nap. But Rocks-Anne wanted my attention, so I let her in, and we laid down together for an hour. She snuggled very close to me and fell asleep with me. I awoke, when she started nibbling gently on my ear. I guess she wanted out, to poop and visit the tribe. Jaffar was waiting on the porch for her. So very cute, I can hardly stand it! :love

I probably wont be able to get away with this as a FBF.:oops:
Too sweet to not post though. Cillin trying to get Fat Bird to give him a bit of a groom.
View attachment 2620047
Fat Bird was more interested in going for a sit on some eggs.
I'm very curious as to why she has taken so much interest in sitting in her more senior years. It's not like she hasn't had the opportunity in the past.
Maybe she knows that it's something she should have done.
View attachment 2620051
That is lovely, Shad!

Sharing Photos

On my bookshelves in my small library is the first microscope I ever had.
View attachment 2619836View attachment 2619837

I share this because I noticed the 2 sets of prepared slides I had in the case when I took it down to look at just now. This gave me the opportunity to test something that I thought might work.

It was in response to @ChicoryBlue question regarding sharing of photos. I took this photo of of a slide with brine shrimp on it at 40x magnification by simply placing the phone camera lenses over the eyepiece. I had to have the shrimp centered but it did work. Check it out.
View attachment 2619849
:celebrateYES! :thumbsup Very cool. :clapI wondered if the difficulty with binocs and telescopes - getting enough light into the camera - wouldn't be a problem because of the backlighting with a microscope. Poo pics TBA!

Happy Caturday!

A97C54CE-4F78-4687-8475-455B47F9846C.jpeg

Could you please share what the active chemical is in what she gives you. Do you need to discard the eggs?
No holding time on the wormer. There is on the Baycox, which is used for treating cocci.
I'll have a look on Tuesday when I pick up the wormer. Last time it was tablets, which I've now had plenty of practice with.

Can I ask something please? In your article draft you said something about being sure of coccidiosis before you treat, and my frizzle-breeder friend has said something similar. Yet I’ve had two vets say to treat without testing. Why the caution?
As with antibiotics, resistance to amprolium can develop. If you were to have a severe outbreak of resistant coccidia your choices to treat would be limited. It would be the same as taking an antibiotic every time you have a cough. Eventually that antibiotic becomes useless. The same is true of wormers.

Also, if your birds have been exposed to coccidia to the point where they need treatment a few times they will develop their own immunity to coccidia. At a certain point it could very well be something else. Unless you see a lot of coccidia in a float test, I would be hesitant to treat. One or two does not bother me.

Back
Top Bottom