What a day. It was beautiful out. I sunburned my shoulder a bit.

So poor Dorothy has declined. I have her her on enrofloxacin and calcium, as she keeps dropping soft eggs off the roost and doesn’t feel well. I’m very concerned. I might try her on an implant, too, but I cannot afford to keep two hens going on hormone implants indefinitely. This is hard.

Ruby had a relatively good day. She was almost as active as everyone else. It was warm, so the whole group was a bit subdued. In the cooler part of the day, she was just as active as her friends.

Minnie, not so much. She had a droopy tail most of the day. I’m worried about her, too.

With Minnie’s symptoms, the pullets having very pale combs and several having watery, slimy urates, I think something is going around the flock. Today I wormed them all with albendazole, except the two on enrofloxacin, who will get it later. I had never wormed my flock before, but something is going on, as I have too many birds who are not right. Tomorrow they’ll start on Corid (Amprolium) water, too. I had gotten away from throwing meds at everything, but I’m feeling a bit desperate.

The worming was quite the production. I decided to dose the liquid into little bits of bread, roll the bread into little balls, and pop them in. For some, it was easy. Others struggled. It took TWO bread bites for each chicken, so I would have to hold one somewhere while I dosed the first. I’d get a chicken between my criss-cross-apple-sauce legs, lean over her, grab her head and pry the beak open with the other hand. I’d hold the second bread ball between my lips. But my little thief, Flo, kept trying to steal them! One time, she jumped OVER a patient and grabbed a bread ball right out of my mouth! Despite the challenges, I eventually finished the task. A few of them even ate it readily.

I have been doing the bread method with Dorothy and Ruby, too. When I went to dose Ruby, we were swarmed. I wasn’t too worried, as the antibiotics are smaller volume and only require one piece of bread... no need to hold one in my lips. Well, Ruby fought me hard, and the next thing you know, her head and neck were gyrating in the strangest fashion! For a moment, I feared she had broken her neck and was dying. I was quite scared! I stroked the back of her neck and she snapped out of it. So strange! I will be sure she is away from the others for the remainder of her treatment doses. I’ll keep a close watch for wry neck, too.

So please think positive thoughts for Dorothy, Minnie and Ruby this week. If worms and/or coccidiosis are at play, I’m not sure when I can expect (hope) to see some improvement. Ester also isn’t laying. Dorothy, Minnie and Ester were raised together (by Cashew) as chicks, and I find it suspicious this age group seems to be struggling the most right now.

Sorry about the rambling and thanks for reading our woes! The good news is they got lots of free range time this weekend. :)
I would be doing what you are doing. I like the idea of treating everyone right now. If it is coccidia you will see improvement in a few days. I think worming took a while before the results were evident the last time.

I love this, fab idea. I've got chooks for the first time and often get asked why I got silkies as they don't lay much. My go to response is I got them for lovin' not laying. I'm more than happy to support local egg suppliers at the grocers to supplement my little flock but still super excited for my first eggs of course!
It is a philosophy playing out today with my dear friend Lilly. She lays the rare egg but she is going nowhere.

20201204_115054.jpg

I’m guessing the coconut oil and the couple of massages helped Belle.
Found this encased in a thin layer of poop in the run this afternoon after work 😳 all one piece longer than my pointer finger

She seems back to her greedy self :wee
I’ll still keep an eye on her but I’m so relieved that something like this came out of her!
I’m sorry I’ve hogged a bit of the thread lately, with Bok and now this 🙃
Thank you all again 💜
Way to go! This is an outstanding result. What a great chicken mum you are! :clap :clap

@featherhead007 :hugs I'm so sad about Emma and really upset and angry if your suspicion about the nbor is anywhere near accurate. Good idea to keep the babies in lockdown for a bit.

@LozzyR eeeek! 🤢 how did he get in there??!?

@micstrachan that mode of dispensing is prize worthy! Hope your girls perk up

@Ribh give that Dorothy love from me. I hope she does well.

@Scrambles83 that Mugshot is cracking me up

And I guess this question can be asked of the group at large about the prefab coops...has anyone had luck with one lasting a couple of years? We bought ours from the Chicken Coop Company bc it was made in US, wood and wire with extra support under nest boxes. I'm sure hoping it doesn't turn into a pile of kindling prematurely!

Here is Allele for Mugshot Monday!
What great name Allele!

Our prefab lasted for several years from 2013 to 2017 when I replaced it with my big coop. I still use it for integration but have had to do repairs. For example I had to replace the roof.

Back
Top Bottom