Yes, I am learning to believe skinny is good and healthy in chickens as long as they are vibrant and active!
Most of my hens look pretty “ fit”, but my Buffy...
She seems really “fluffy”.
3A84C4A4-75C2-4F09-A076-5045BFF369C0.jpeg

Yep. As you know, mine don’t free range all day, so I do resort to other interventions at times. Someday I’d love to let them free range all day, but I’d want a rooster AND a livestock guardian dog like a Great Pyranees. Too many predators here on the ground and in the air. This weekend two hawks were circling. Once I threw a ball through the center of the yard snd my dog ran after it, the hawks left.
I let mine out late afternoon or early evening for three or four hours. I have my three attack-boxers out there too, so I feel a little safer. 😂😂

I think mine must be pigs. They were out foraging all day yesterday and they were very busy finding things and then on the way to bed they completely pigged out on commercial feed. Honestly, I was surprised they could stand up their crops were so full but by this morning it was all gone and they were ravenous again!
I've been meaning to ask the brains trust something, especially before @Shadrach disappears for a while. About food; when I was at the poultry show on the weekend, one of the organisers said that each bird should only get a (biggish) handful of feed a day and anything more than that is a waste. He said if you throw it down on the ground and there's some left over, it's too much and then you get the wild birds into it and spreading whatever diseases they have (mice too). So how much is enough? I've been giving my girls a handful in the morning on the grass, but if I've been home, offered them a little at lunch time and again in the evening and they eat it every time. I know they can pig out but do they regulate their eating? I'm of the opinion that Nyssa was underweight because she wasn't being allowed to eat, so I'm reluctant to not offer her food. I'm also trying to keep pests away by not having food available (although this is tricky). Thoughts?

Sigh. Just checked the weather. It is down below freezing tonight. I am not cracking open the heated waterer - it is usually a degree or so warmer inside so at least that water is unlikely to freeze.
It’s (relatively) cold in California, too! We’re expecting a daytime high of 52°F on Sunday, which is quite unusual this late in April!

I must say that I love when the yard is in its full glory, the tribe is free ranging, and I go weeks without filling their feeders. They are exceptional at finding what they need to eat.
Wow! I could not imagine doing that here with almost two acres of wild (between me and the neigh or who shares with the chickens) and you are in an enclosed yard. Impressive! My poor girls who only get to free range weekends and evenings... :(

Most of my hens look pretty “ fit”, but my Buffy...
She seems really “fluffy”.View attachment 2629353
It could literally just be fluff. My Buffy is SUPER fluffy and looks huge, but she’s actually one of my smaller chickens when you weigh her and when you reach into the depths of her fluff and feel her little body.

Back
Top Bottom