I don't trust the dogs to allow that. Both have high prey drive and have caught countless wild critters. Not worth the risk ā˜¹
I am super jealous of folks that have peaceful cross-species cohabitation.
I feel very lucky, having terrier cross (now 11&1/2) but prey drive for only cats or pigeons. The old girls would hackle up and challenge him over their food he was trying to eat and he would balk and bark but that was it (I would shriek at him of course!)
The same if they flap a lot, he gets his bark on but nothing serious as long as I am out there with him. If heā€™s got fight in him I make sure they are away in their run before he gets out to do his scoots around the yard šŸ˜…

This is from when we first got Penny and Bok as pullets, both now passed, and how Scrambles was with them. As long as they make poop he can eat he is happy šŸ¤¢

https://youtube.com/shorts/_Ebp6db6tLs?feature=share

123AA197-944E-4CDC-AD13-9180E81F5688.jpeg

Him waiting for noodles atm šŸ˜‡šŸ’œ

Last edited:
Most of my hens look pretty ā€œ fitā€, but my Buffy...
She seems really ā€œfluffyā€.View attachment 2629353
Orpingtons are dual purpose birds. They carry much more weight on their body frame than others. They will never be lean. Please don't try to make her lean.

Orpingtons are dual purpose birds. They carry much more weight on their body frame than others. They will never be lean. Please don't try to make her lean.
Like Snow, Sussex are the same I believe. Belle isnā€™t as big so Iā€™m thinking she is a barnyard cross (I did buy them from a farm so very possible). When I got them Belle hadnā€™t grown tail feathers, she was a round rumped little peep šŸ„°

Last edited:
I've been meaning to ask the brains trust something, especially before @Shadrach disappears for a while. About food; when I was at the poultry show on the weekend, one of the organisers said that each bird should only get a (biggish) handful of feed a day and anything more than that is a waste. He said if you throw it down on the ground and there's some left over, it's too much and then you get the wild birds into it and spreading whatever diseases they have (mice too). So how much is enough? I've been giving my girls a handful in the morning on the grass, but if I've been home, offered them a little at lunch time and again in the evening and they eat it every time. I know they can pig out but do they regulate their eating? I'm of the opinion that Nyssa was underweight because she wasn't being allowed to eat, so I'm reluctant to not offer her food. I'm also trying to keep pests away by not having food available (although this is tricky). Thoughts?
I disagree but I have commented on this before. Aside from meal worms and pasta, and even with them sometimes, my tribe rarely eats all of anything I provide them immediately. Rather they cycle through the yard through the course of the day.

Yesterday I put some corn out for them in the morning. There were still kernels around at 4:00 pm. I think this has helped my yard to survive them. They don't strip anything bare.

Do they self relate? Mine have feed available at all times. With access to the yard now I only see them eat it when they wake up in the morning before the door opens to let them out. Even Hattie has stopped snacking at night as the days get longer.

I feel very lucky, having terrier cross (now 11&1/2) but prey drive for only cats or pigeons. The old girls would hackle up and challenge him over their food he was trying to eat and he would balk and bark but that was it (I would shriek at him of course!)
The same if they flap a lot, he gets his bark on but nothing serious as long as I am out there with him. If heā€™s got fight in him I make sure they are away in their run before he gets out to do his scoots around the yard šŸ˜…

This is from when we first got Penny and Bok as pullets, both now passed, and how Scrambles was with them. As long as they make poop he can eat he is happy šŸ¤¢

https://youtube.com/shorts/_Ebp6db6tLs?feature=share

View attachment 2629563
Him waiting for noodles atm šŸ˜‡šŸ’œ
Sweet little video
Look at his ears! Give him noodles! šŸ˜†

It could literally just be fluff. My Buffy is SUPER fluffy and looks huge, but sheā€™s actually one of my smaller chickens when you weigh her and when you reach into the depths of her fluff and feel her little body.
I am truly surprised at that. Hattie has always been a large bodied girl as she is supposed to be. The disappointment for me is Sydney and Sansa. They were also supposed to be dual purpose ladies and they are Lilly sized.

I'm not looking to fulfill that second purpose but I was hoping to get Hattie a similar sized friend. Her and Sydney are hanging out these days so that worked out but I am surprised at how small they actually are.

Back
Top Bottom