I am up, the dog ,Tony, was flip-flopping at 3:45, I am up. Heading in for cup #2, download (1).jpg
IMG_0242.JPG

Mine have food available all the time and I am interested in your question too as I have allowed them to self-control.
When Maggie was molting she had no interest in commercial food. Now, she has a small commercial food appetizer and then spends several hours hunting around outside for whatever takes her fancy and finishes with a commercial food dessert before settling down to the serious business of a round of preening parties.
They seem to like having choices.
I believe they know how to best fulfill their dietary needs. I always have food for them to supplement their diet with but once the yard blooms they use very little commercial feed.

Every Day

Every day right now Phyllis is laying an egg. This is unusual because Polish are known as indifferent layers.

Every day she lays said egg in a nest box in the coop. This is good news because last year she laid her eggs all over the yard. It was like an Easter Egg Hunt every few days to find them.

Every day Phyllis goes through this panic stage before she lays the egg. Squeaking and racing about the yard looking for some place to lay said egg that is better than the coop.

Every day she still checks out the old wood pile despite never having found it satisfactory before.
20210408_083720.jpg
20210408_083730.jpg
20210408_083741.jpg

Back
Top Bottom