These are my elder sisters chickens. They free range in her and her husbands back garden from morning to dusk. She has had roosters, but here they are not permitted. My sister has had chickens for twenty something years.
Given I'm quarantining at her home and not allowed to leave the house due to Covid restrictions and understandably missing the tribes I've posted so much about here on BYC who were my constant companions for the last ten years, I spend as much time as the weather permits in the garden with the four hens that live here.
Freya, the Swedish Flower hen in the first picture had been sick with an unspecified infection when I arrived and has just finished a course of treatment prescribed by the vet here.
The white hen (Chick) and the tan coloured hen (Mo) are relative new comers and arrived as pullets close to egg laying age.
This is Freya and Chick.
View attachment 2655884
This is Mo.
View attachment 2655885
This is Mini who has been here for a couple of years.
View attachment 2655886
Another shot of Chick. She's the most junior and my favourite.
View attachment 2655887

The more observant of you may notice that while my trousers may be the same as in every other picture I've posted (I have three identical pairs) the purple plastic shoes are a marked departure from my usual boots. Don't take the piss please. They are the preferred garden footwear here and not my choice of footwear.:idunno
You are in designer wear in comparison to me. I throw anything on to get their first feeding done.

I really pity my one neighbor, it's got to the point of nothing surprising him anymore.

Hi Everyone. It's been a while since I posted here, but I've been following along silently & have kept up to date. April was a tough month for me. I had experienced dealing with a sick rooster for the first time. It was a rollercoaster ride of emotions - some days I thought he was getting better and other days he got worse. It seemed like the medication prescribed helped him some, but I caught it too late and my sweet Roo passed away on April 27th. I think he knew his time was coming to an end. Roo was a very sweet rooster, but he wasn't the type who enjoyed being pet or handled, but on my last day with him, he stayed by my side and let me pet him. I think that was his way of saying goodbye to me 😢 It's been over a week and the pain is still very fresh.

I know I don't comment often, but I always try to "like" everyone's posts here. I wanted to let you all know that this reading thread has helped me get through the rough times when I was feeling down about Roo. I enjoy reading about peoples flocks and seeing photos of everyone chickens 💕

My sweet Roo
View attachment 2653545
What a beautiful boy. So sorry. :hugs:hugs

Your tribe will be missing you too, Shad.
:hugs :hugs :hit
I’m so sorry you had to leave them.
I would be so happy if shad moved near where I am. We would soon get another chicken family for him and we could talk about chickens every time we bumped into each other.

In reality though, Shad, will soon get his life back on track, I'm sure of this after reading all he has shared with us. :hugs:hugs

Back
Top Bottom