A sad start to mothers day so unfortunately I am not going to get any ducklings in my pool.
At about 1am a raccoon struck the nest. My lovely broody lady flew away across the pool just in the nick of time so I am not feeling too upset - I would have been devastated if the raccoon had got her.
The raccoon ate one of the six eggs and broke another but he left four.
I am not sure what to do.
I could take them and eat them. Can anyone think why I should not do that?
I could leave them for her to come back to - but I don't really want her to come back as the raccoon now knows where she is and she may not be so lucky next time. I also read that they don't come back to disturbed nests.
I could scramble them for the chickens.

Below are two videos of the event. The first is of the attack and the second of the raccoon struggling with how to cope with a big egg. I put them in a spoiler but actually they aren't remotely gruesome and you do see the lady duck make her escape right at the start.

The attack
Breakfast
Oh my, that’s sad but I’m glad mumma duck got away in time.

Oh no, not the drop bears again :eek::wee
Not sure if you were with us Marie, the last time I posted this. :D

94A14CB0-2EF6-4AAB-9449-AC8627E7D4EA.jpeg

You look like a spy! A very dry spy. 😁 I love it, very flash.
Thanks! ❤️ It mostly kept me dry; the hood slips a bit and some of the stitching gets a bit wet. I’m going to put some silicone on the stitching to stop the water from seeping in. The main seams have silicone underneath, but I’ve discovered areas such as the yoke and sleeve hems.

Oh my goodness...miss a few days and I'm so behind! Have been visiting family for a few days. Have loved seeing everyone, and the kiddos and hubby have been keeping me satiated with sending pics of the chickens. 😆
Family should be first, I’m thinking. Hope all is well .

Back
Top Bottom