Oh no! I hope he's alright
Thanks. I reckon it’s just a cold, but I don’t actually know what it’s like when someone has Covid.

I took this about half an hour ago.

3EBB5534-5103-4A1D-8258-A1CFBACA0033.jpeg

This is now.
1528EB2B-ACD2-4584-B5FB-BF8CA7FB1AFF.jpeg

I seem to have some new friends.

View attachment 2655523View attachment 2655525View attachment 2655526

My new friends have eggs.
View attachment 2655528View attachment 2655529

And one broody mother duck

View attachment 2655530

All this would be lovely except that it is my pool they have taken over.
Also I fear they are very exposed to fox attack where they have their nest, but I don’t think there is anything I can do about that.
I think they might be wanting to move into the Chicken Palace!
They are such beautiful decorations for your pool and yard. ❤️

A sad start to mothers day so unfortunately I am not going to get any ducklings in my pool.
At about 1am a raccoon struck the nest. My lovely broody lady flew away across the pool just in the nick of time so I am not feeling too upset - I would have been devastated if the raccoon had got her.
The raccoon ate one of the six eggs and broke another but he left four.
I am not sure what to do.
I could take them and eat them. Can anyone think why I should not do that?
I could leave them for her to come back to - but I don't really want her to come back as the raccoon now knows where she is and she may not be so lucky next time. I also read that they don't come back to disturbed nests.
I could scramble them for the chickens.

Below are two videos of the event. The first is of the attack and the second of the raccoon struggling with how to cope with a big egg. I put them in a spoiler but actually they aren't remotely gruesome and you do see the lady duck make her escape right at the start.

The attack
Breakfast
Don’t eat them. Incubate and hatch them.

Back
Top Bottom