Well momma hen has weaned Squirrel and her brother. I feel so bad for the poor little things today. They are so confused because yesterday she wanted them right next to her and would still fight you over them. Today, she only tolerates them for a few minutes then runs them off. They are ready though, 7 weeks old and she's taught them everything she can teach them. Now its my turn, thanks to the old bat they are sorta wild. It's my job to make friends with them without the danger of being attacked. One of the things she taught them is her love for bananas, so we have already shared one old banana today. A week of special attention and treats should have them turned into friendly little things. At least this time she weaned her babies before teaching them to roost in the tree's on the hill. Well, she has tried every night for about 2 weeks, they never followed and she always came back to roost in the pen with them.

Yesterday was not the best of days. I was rear-ended. I'm pretty much ok, stiff, sore, and brushed today. I am waiting on CT scan for my neck as a precaution because of the cyst I have on my spinal cord.

View attachment 2666785

I was only 5 miles from my house so the police let me drive it home to save a tow bill.

The police were there because what initiated the crash was a postal worker delivering mail. She went to pull away from the mailbox and did not see the guy in front of me. He could not go around her because of the oncoming traffic.

I saw all this and stopped safely behind the guy in front of me. Suddenly I feel the impact and hear glass shatter as I'm pushed into the guy in front.

The kicker to all this is postal worker refused to give her information and left the scene. While she was not hit, she was at the very least a witness and needed to stay or give her info.

After the police finished with the 3 of us they were heading to the post office to find her and talk to her.

The guy in front of me only had a small scuff mark of his trunk where I was pushed I to him. I was the cream filling in a car sandwich.
That's awful! I hope that the CT is negative. I do feel like the postal worker left the scene of an accident but I'm certain she will say that she did not hear anything.

They are really cute! But do you mean past tense when you say "were my brother's chicks"? Are they grown, or does he not have them anymore?
They are now grown and no longer chicks. He has lost a couple over the years but still has 5 at last count.

Although I couldn't watch your video again I have one to contribute on the 'bad mood' topic.
This was hard to see - but also very surprising. Apologies it is a bit long.
In it we see Elizabeth who I believe is top hen and who never enforces her position take on first Minnie who is bottom hen and sweetness itself, and then later Diana who is prone to pecking (at least me).
Note that Maggie who usually picks on the roadrunners is entirely uninvolved and note also how the road runners crowd around the second fight cheering them on.
I can't imagine what went on to put Elizabeth in such a fighting mood.
It is interesting to see Elizabeth get up onto Diana. Sydney will submit to Aurora the same way and I have seen Aurora, but no one else not even Sansa, do the same.

I'm not sure but I think one of the roadrunner may have actually chested Elizabeth enough that she lost her balance and had to get off Diana. It was almost like the roadrunners were there in support of Diana not to just watch.

Good morning, friends at Fluffy Butt Acres!
Thought I’d post my greeting before I read my catch ups!
Meanwhile, another wierd egg offering from one of my ladies:
(Note the wierd egg next to a normal egg).
View attachment 2666842
:lau:gig
:gigI'm confused. Which is the weird shaped one? They both seem odd to me. :gig

It was pure hubris. They were right in sight of the sliding glass door. We turned away for a few minutes and sudden fox. We felt so guilty. I don't even hate the fox. It just wanted to feed it's children. No more playpen. No more unsupervised outside time.
I'm so sorry. :hugs :hugs I too have learned some hard lessons over the years. I do not wish this on anyone.

Back
Top Bottom