When it rains it pours...

I have been in the hospital since Thursday afternoon. Not for myself, I'm fine, but for Rich.

For the past week he has not been feeling well. He had diarrhea, fatigue, chills and shakes. His family doctor ordered some blood work and sent us home. Thursday morning he started vomiting. Vomiting for him is usual from his GERD and once he startes he can't stop without fluids and meds from the hospital.

When Thursday afternoon came and he couldn't even keep a sip of water down, I finally said enough is enough and got him ready to go to the ER.

On the way down to the hospital he was almost unresponsive and extremely pale. That is not normal for him. Hospital security had to get him a wheelchair and get him out of the car to get into the hospital. Once inside a nurse came out, took one look at him, and took him straight back. He keep saying he was in so much pain and freezing cold.

He had about 6 or 8 people all over him. Every one thought he was having a heart attack. Thankfully that was not the case. What did happen is they found a disection of his mesenteric artery. We were quickly told that a surgeon would be in to talk with us soon. We were told that rich would need to be transferred to a different hospital because they don't do that surgery at our local hospital.

About a hour later the surgeon was back and said that they were going to treat him with blood thinners instead of surgery because the tare in the artery is on the inside and very small.

He's been on IV heparin since last night and now they are switching him to Coumadin. He'll be in the hospital another night at least until they can get his levels shorted out.

He was still pretty unstable an in a lot of pain so I refused to leave him. I spent the night "sleeping" in a very uncomfortable chair. We finally were moved into a room and I have a lovely recliner to sit in but I can't stay all night today. They are making me leave at 9pm and that's probably not a bad thing, I am exhausted.

Chicken tax
View attachment 2669862
I'm so sad too read all the pain your Rich is suffering. Thank goodness he has you at his side, that must be healing in itself.

I will be looking out for your update and for now sending you my healing thoughts.

:hugs:hugs Please remember to look after you as well. What a truly lovely lady you are. I feel honoured to meet you here :love

I kind of want to die. Queenie was killed today, we think by a hawk. Butters may have been the first target but she escaped with a couple of big tufts of hackle feathers out of her neck. A hawk, we think THE hawk, came back and flew down towards the body, while I was gone digging a grave for Queenie, DH saw it and chased it away.

We were home, out and about, and they were out in their yard. There was no sound that we heard, and it happened around the corner of the house just out of sight while we were moving the big wire run over to their yard to set it up there. We suddenly noticed we didn't see any chickens around, I went looking, only finding Queenie's body and seeing no others. Whatever it was had eaten some of her. But she was warm still, and limp except for her legs. Eventually one Buckeye came out of the coop box. The four had run into the coop tractor and up into the roosting enclosure, Butters far into the nest box. I need to check her body again but I found no blood, and she let me handle all of her except her neck area was very tender.

I am so sorry. I feel I got Queenie killed. And she is particularly dear to me. I have tried to let them be chickeny and also have been putting into place safety measures to try to minimize risk, which I knew there was - I accept that to some degree but I feel particularly guilty about putting the electric fencing not up to the back house deck. Peanut had tried to run under there before and encountered the fence. I had thought about doing that, but it would be in the way of gas deliveries and DH didn't want them hanging out on the deck and pooping on it. I think Queenie, who had also run to the house when there was a previous attack in this same area - another reason to not have widened the fence area to include this spot! - and she had run that way when this hawk came I think, and of course couldn't get past the net. There were fluff feathers there. She fought back though and made it halfway back towards the coop where she either died because of her injuries sustained already, or was overtaken again. I think Butters was attacked first and then Queenie, which makes her inability to escape due to what I did with the fencing, denying her the house which she probably had time to run to, really hard.

There aren't enough emojiis in the world :hit
:hugsomg no! I'm so sorry. Queenie the beauty!
It is absolutely imperative that you do not blame yourself - it does no favors to the rest of your flock, nor to you. You did the best you could with the information you had. :hugs
Be kind to yourself, grieve her and remember her and tend everyone else (YOU included). You are needed.

It is Caturday and someone does not want to get out of bed. I am forced to have a lie-in. Hard life.
1A0132FE-4178-49E3-BF73-6C826FAA901D.jpeg

I kind of want to die. Queenie was killed today, we think by a hawk. Butters may have been the first target but she escaped with a couple of big tufts of hackle feathers out of her neck. A hawk, we think THE hawk, came back and flew down towards the body, while I was gone digging a grave for Queenie, DH saw it and chased it away.

We were home, out and about, and they were out in their yard. There was no sound that we heard, and it happened around the corner of the house just out of sight while we were moving the big wire run over to their yard to set it up there. We suddenly noticed we didn't see any chickens around, I went looking, only finding Queenie's body and seeing no others. Whatever it was had eaten some of her. But she was warm still, and limp except for her legs. Eventually one Buckeye came out of the coop box. The four had run into the coop tractor and up into the roosting enclosure, Butters far into the nest box. I need to check her body again but I found no blood, and she let me handle all of her except her neck area was very tender.

I am so sorry. I feel I got Queenie killed. And she is particularly dear to me. I have tried to let them be chickeny and also have been putting into place safety measures to try to minimize risk, which I knew there was - I accept that to some degree but I feel particularly guilty about putting the electric fencing not up to the back house deck. Peanut had tried to run under there before and encountered the fence. I had thought about doing that, but it would be in the way of gas deliveries and DH didn't want them hanging out on the deck and pooping on it. I think Queenie, who had also run to the house when there was a previous attack in this same area - another reason to not have widened the fence area to include this spot! - and she had run that way when this hawk came I think, and of course couldn't get past the net. There were fluff feathers there. She fought back though and made it halfway back towards the coop where she either died because of her injuries sustained already, or was overtaken again. I think Butters was attacked first and then Queenie, which makes her inability to escape due to what I did with the fencing, denying her the house which she probably had time to run to, really hard.

There aren't enough emojiis in the world :hit
I'm so sorry. Hold onto your others butters especially . This is on no way your fault. :hugs

Thank you!

Thank you!

Thank you! I was extremely hard to leave tonight and I cried on the way home, but I have trust and faith in the hospital and I'll be back in the morning.

Thank you! I'll show him tomorrow

It's been a wild one that's for sure. He is indeed feeling better. He actually had an apatite and ate all his dinner.

Thank you! We'll take all we can get.
Appetite returning is fantastic news. Keep us updated.
(And nap if you can...you've had such a rough go)

The Egg Saga (part 2)

I had to break this into 2 parts because you cannot have more than 20 media links in one post. Who knew?

11:23 Sydney stops pacing and moves into box 2 while Hattie is in box 1.

11:25 Hattie vacates box 1. I do not know why.

11:26 Sydney looks over the divide to make certain that no one else is in box 1 and then moves over to box 1.

11:29 Hattie returns from wherever she went and Sydney leaves box 1 with no fuss.

11:36 Sydney is still waiting when Lilly shows up. Why does Lilly show up? To create more chaos or as she might say, because she can. Why else?

11:50 Dope that I am, instead of checking the running camera, I leave the house to go make certain that Phyllis' egg is not soft shelled. Lilly leaves to coop to greet me as i walk down the steps. Hattie was surprised when I opened the lid to the nest boxes.

11:51 Sansa Arrives to lay her egg.

11:53 Sydney informs Hattie that she can wait no more and she is "coming in"! She has been waiting 1 hour 10 minutes for "the" box.

11:56 Lilly arrives and enters box 2. Why? Because she can.

12:07 I cannot figure this move out. Sydney leaves box 1 and joins Lilly in box 2! WHY!

12:10 Lilly leaves box 2. Hattie is in box 1 and Sydney in box 2. Sansa is waiting.

12:29 Hattie has laid her egg. That is 1 hour and 24 min for Hattie to lay hers. Sydney is now in box 1 and Lilly has snuck into box 3. Sansa waits. EGG #3

There is a gap in the video record here. Somewhere between 12:30 and 1:50 Sydney lays her egg. that is a minimum of 1 hour 54 minutes for her. EGG #4

1:50 Sansa lays her egg and heads out. That is that is 1 hour 59 minutes for Sansa to lay her egg. EGG #5

2:34 Lilly leaves box 3. She has not laid an egg but she did spend 45 minutes alone in the coop on nest 3. I hope it was peaceful for her.
O.M.G.
This is....I don't know what this is... a documentary? A sitcom?
All I know is I'm in for a world of trouble if my girls do this when they begin laying :th

Back
Top Bottom