Yes, I get eggs, and (three dozen more in the fridge) :eek: some I washed for sale, the rest I use myself. Even a fart egg there. :p C85C76AC-7B37-4AF5-BA65-AC0581EA1B54.jpeg

I wonder why mine spread out? It's warm here, but Alex is in California, too. In fact, it's probably a few degrees warmer where he is. Though, Alex's weren't crammed tight like yours, RC!
I have a heap of moulters just now & Ha'penny @ least is as cross as 2 sticks about it & has been booting everyone off the top roost. We are getting down to 10~12C @ night & my nutty lot, who usually cram tightly together, have suddenly decided to spread themselves out all over the place. :idunno

I have a heap of moulters just now & Ha'penny @ least is as cross as 2 sticks about it & has been booting everyone off the top roost. We are getting down to 10~12C @ night & my nutty lot, who usually cram tightly together, have suddenly decided to spread themselves out all over the place. :idunno
“Moulters” ? (Make feathered pillows) :old :confused:

Flock Size for Space

Bob, you have mentioned that you would love more chickens, but your space isn't set up for that. I applaud you. I find I have probably "maxed out" my space. While I don't see behavioral issues, I feel their health might be compromised if I crammed more in there. In California, they spend little time in the coop. The main coop is 5x5 (and taller than me) and the upper level is 3x5, plus I have that area underneath, which I call the sun room, which is also 3x5, but I don't count it in my coop square footage. That's about 3 sq. ft. of coop space per bird, which seems tight, but they pretty much only sleep and lay in there (they will pile in when there is a bad storm, but I put plastic around part of the run, which has a pitched tarp over it). There are 4x 5-foot roosts, plus two shorter ones in the back corners of the main coop, which ends up being about 2 feet of roost space per bird (they are usually pretty spread out, but there are two "favorite" roosts. Bridge decides who gets to roost up top with her, so there are usually only two birds up there).

The run is 16x10 plus 12.5x8, which works out to about 20 sq. ft. per bird. They get to free range pretty much every day after work, except for the shortest days of winter when I just can't get home before dark. So that ranges from only about 15 minutes in winter to sometimes 4 hours in summer, and pretty much almost all day most weekend days.

I once read that it's not good for chickens to live on the same ground for long periods of time, and that makes sense to me. I like to rotate the litter... take the stuff in the uncovered side of the run, scatter it around the yard, transfer the dry side of the run to the side I just emptied, and empty the coop litter into the dry side. In the fall, I also add LOTS of leaves to both sides for them to play in, and as you know, treat them to 50 pounds of rice hulls on either (or both!) side(s) periodically. The leaves, rice hulls and litter (I use pine shavings for bedding) provide a great material for them to scratch in and is great for the garden months down the road after the manure has broken down (I use it UNDER the potting & raised bed mix).

The coop (and even the little, red grow-out coop) is/are pretty dirty right now. I need a couple hot, dry days, as I'd like to not only completely empty the litter, scrape off poop and vacuum dust, but I'd like to scrub things down with a vinegar wash. This probably won't happen until June.

Anyway, it seems like Bridge (5) is my most robust bird, followed by the 4-year olds (except Ruby with her issues). Why don't the 2-year-olds seem as healthy as the older birds? I can see why the pullets don't... they are bottom of the pecking order.

Does anyone else see this trend? That the older ones actually seem healthier than the younger ones? That's why I recently treated for worms and coccidiosis. I know some of you own large properties with seemingly unlimited space. If I let me girls free range all day, I would most certainly have significant predator losses, since we have hawks, eagles, great horned owls, raccoons, coyotes, bobcats, fox and mountain lions (and probably others I am forgetting).

I feel a little guilty for maxing out my space. I give them the best life I possibly can (clean water, high-quality organic feed, greens all year, avian veterinary care when needed).

Anyone care to discuss a little? Is that OK, Bob?
I have 23 birds on roughly an acre of land. I have 10 birds that are 2~ 5 years old. These are my healthiest birds. They seem to have built up enough immunity that they can cope with most things round here. I've definitely maxed out my coop space. There's plenty of roosting space but the coop run space is really tight though the girls do pretty well with it because they know they will be let out to free range most days. I've battled cocci with all my younger birds all summer as it was so wet & muggy. The older girls got a touch but seemed to do better than the younger ones. I'm pretty sure I lost a couple before I figured out what was going on as they didn't show the symptoms I was expecting. 🙄 Everyone who has survived so far seems to be doing really well & healthier than they were. My exception is my GLW but :fl I've now sorted her.

Flock Size for Space

Bob, you have mentioned that you would love more chickens, but your space isn't set up for that. I applaud you. I find I have probably "maxed out" my space. While I don't see behavioral issues, I feel their health might be compromised if I crammed more in there. In California, they spend little time in the coop. The main coop is 5x5 (and taller than me) and the upper level is 3x5, plus I have that area underneath, which I call the sun room, which is also 3x5, but I don't count it in my coop square footage. That's about 3 sq. ft. of coop space per bird, which seems tight, but they pretty much only sleep and lay in there (they will pile in when there is a bad storm, but I put plastic around part of the run, which has a pitched tarp over it). There are 4x 5-foot roosts, plus two shorter ones in the back corners of the main coop, which ends up being about 2 feet of roost space per bird (they are usually pretty spread out, but there are two "favorite" roosts. Bridge decides who gets to roost up top with her, so there are usually only two birds up there).

The run is 16x10 plus 12.5x8, which works out to about 20 sq. ft. per bird. They get to free range pretty much every day after work, except for the shortest days of winter when I just can't get home before dark. So that ranges from only about 15 minutes in winter to sometimes 4 hours in summer, and pretty much almost all day most weekend days.

I once read that it's not good for chickens to live on the same ground for long periods of time, and that makes sense to me. I like to rotate the litter... take the stuff in the uncovered side of the run, scatter it around the yard, transfer the dry side of the run to the side I just emptied, and empty the coop litter into the dry side. In the fall, I also add LOTS of leaves to both sides for them to play in, and as you know, treat them to 50 pounds of rice hulls on either (or both!) side(s) periodically. The leaves, rice hulls and litter (I use pine shavings for bedding) provide a great material for them to scratch in and is great for the garden months down the road after the manure has broken down (I use it UNDER the potting & raised bed mix).

The coop (and even the little, red grow-out coop) is/are pretty dirty right now. I need a couple hot, dry days, as I'd like to not only completely empty the litter, scrape off poop and vacuum dust, but I'd like to scrub things down with a vinegar wash. This probably won't happen until June.

Anyway, it seems like Bridge (5) is my most robust bird, followed by the 4-year olds (except Ruby with her issues). Why don't the 2-year-olds seem as healthy as the older birds? I can see why the pullets don't... they are bottom of the pecking order.

Does anyone else see this trend? That the older ones actually seem healthier than the younger ones? That's why I recently treated for worms and coccidiosis. I know some of you own large properties with seemingly unlimited space. If I let me girls free range all day, I would most certainly have significant predator losses, since we have hawks, eagles, great horned owls, raccoons, coyotes, bobcats, fox and mountain lions (and probably others I am forgetting).

I feel a little guilty for maxing out my space. I give them the best life I possibly can (clean water, high-quality organic feed, greens all year, avian veterinary care when needed).

Anyone care to discuss a little? Is that OK, Bob?
You are maxed out on coop space but they spend almost no time there, just sleeping.

Space problems usually equate to bored birds which leads to behavioral problems, feather pecking, etc. This is not your problem.

Like Shad I wonder about the genetic diversity of the birds we get these days. I feel some of @Ribh issues with ladies passing from failure to thrive are really genetic.

As far as younger birds seeming sicker than older girls there is a little science to that. For example, chickens develop resistance to coccidia over time. Younger birds have a harder time with coccidia as they do not yet have resistance. This is the first year I have not had to treat for coccidia in the spring. Usually between snow melt and the spring rains I have to treat. Not this year. The ladies powered through the spring.

So older ladies have survived their first bouts with coccidia and worms. They do not have genetic issues. They have sort of got egg laying down. They know more about the dangers around. Therefore, they seem healthier.

My space issues which limit my flock Size are all related to the winter and the size of the coop. If I had to lock these 6 in the coop because of extreme cold, I would have issues. They would survive a couple of days but Phyllis would not enjoy it. I have had to do that before. Heck, after 6 weeks stuck in the run by snow, Aurora was having mental issues.
I want more chickens, I just can't have them. I mean look at these beauties.
IMG_1030-5-768x1024.jpg

And they lay Blue eggs!

Gosh it is hard to be strong.

HOLY DRAMA! I got through all the videos in both threads.
  • Yay for Phyllis laying a shelled egg. I felt bad for her pumping tail waiting and then getting her hair pulled while laying!
  • Poor Sydney was so patient and really wanted box #1. I'm glad it worked out for her. Odd that she bunked with Lilly for a sec!
  • Aurora, Hattie and Sansa seemed mostly uneventful, which is good! That Aurora is tough. LOL.
  • I forget... does Lilly still lay?
  • Congrats on a 5-egg day! That's about what I'm getting from my flock of 13!
I did have my only ever 6 egg day this year. Lilly lays 1 or 2 a month at this point but she is always hanging around the boxes.

Aurora is tough. I was thinking about this the other day. Lilly used to be a mean cuss as well. Since she became alpha she just isn't mean anymore. Bossy but not chase you around mean. I truly wonder if the same would hold true for Aurora?

Do you have any theories why box 1 is the only best box they prefer to lay in? I am stumped by it.

Back
Top Bottom